Monday, October 16, 2023

Wedding planning and Quilt Retreat time! Oh Boy!

  

 With all this wedding stuff going on I found pictures of Pamela from 1991. She was 4 years old and she wanted to be a bride for Halloween. So I hit the thrift stores and found a size 4 wedding dress. I trimmed it up and hemmed it up for our little bride to be.  Just a glimpse into the future....                    

Daddy might have gotten a little teary eyed that day after she left the room when he realized one day he would be walking her down the aisle for real one day.  

Pamela and Kaleb went to a work function for Baylor Scott & White where she was recognized for her 10 years of service. She started before the building was even finished. She helped set up the postpartum unit. They're so cute. 

Jumping to present day... October 7th we went wedding dress shopping, not expecting to find anything. We had made appointments at a couple shops in the Houston area for November. Coreena's Bridal Boutique in South College Station were ready for us with a welcome sign and special adult beverages.  Makes one feel pretty special for sure. The owner and the consultant were awesome and I'm sorry I don't remember names. Pamela had picked out several dresses to try on but after the 3rd one the girls said let's try something different. They picked out a dress that Pamela nor I would have picked out but Wow! It was beautiful and so flattering. So when you know you know. And when everyone there that Saturday had tears rolling down their checks it was all over except pulling out the checkbook. At first we didn't understand the sign about her 2nd Yes. We're thinking no this will be the first time she's said Yes to a dress, but our consultant goes.... Your first Yes was to Kaleb, are you saying your 2nd Yes to the dress.  She said yes with tears.
Sorry you'll have to till January 2025 before seeing the full dress. It takes 10 months for these dresses to come in and another 2 or 3 for any alterations. Crazy.  She has to go cancel the other appointments now but that's okay.

It was an emotional yet fun day. Those present L to R was Leslie a long time high school friend; Hailey a fellow nurse and friend, and her future Mother-in-law Tori. Tori is gonna be a pro at this wedding stuff since her daughter will be getting married in November of 2024. Thank you Lesley V. for taking pictures that day. All 300+ of them. LOL. Love it. 
Pamela face timed her friend Marlaina who couldn't be there that day. We knew she wanted to be there but her little guys came first and they had soccer games but we made sure she was part of it even though she wasn't physically there.

Afterwards Leslie, Tori(MIL to be), Pamela and I went to Marfa Kitchen for a celebration luncheon.  Hailey had to work later so she had to leave us.  The food was really good.  After lunch Tori had to head home to work on her daughter's wedding stuff. Weddings are keeping her busy. Leslie, Pamela and I headed to the what was supposed to be the 2nd wedding dress appointment and instead looked at bridesmaid and mother's of the bride options. This search will continue.


My friend Sheryl came down that evening to spend the night because Sunday morning we were heading out at 8:45am to our Quilt Retreat with 12 other of our quilty/crafty friends! Let the fun begin.
I'm in the process of making big bags that will hold our 24" rulers, pressing mats, and extension tables for our machines. I gave one already to Donna Lynn in April and this retreat Connie received hers. Most of the fabrics are sewing related and I'm embroidering their names on the bags. Now I started this project to use up fabric and to make one for myself to carry equipment but get this, I haven't finished my own bag.  I will have one for myself by next retreat. LOL
This is The Material Girls retreaters at Hidden Treasures Retreat. Without this gang there wouldn't be retreat full of fun, lots of laughter, and beautiful projects. Couldn't do it without these ladies.
And apparently it has been 10 years since I started hosting these retreats. Donna Marie made sure everyone knew it and started collecting 10 items of anything... Dollars, Fat Quarters, Row Pins, buttons, clips, pens, thread, blank envelopes with the emergency med forms, marking pens, etc and Donna Marie made me a tote, a very special tote that held all the items to represent 10 years. These ladies surprised me and are sew wonderful.  Thank you Thank you Thank you.

I'm gonna stop for now but be prepared there will be lots of pictures shared in my next post from the retreat. 

Until my next post...May your days always MEASURE up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great times with wonderful friends. I can not wait to see Pam in her gown.
Love you
donna

BeachGypsy said...

Howdy Carla-- glad you stopped in! Love all the fun pictures and I sure hope you enlarge those pictures and display them at her wedding reception! Wow-- wedding planning is fun and also alot of time and work. Condolences on the loss of your Mom. Are those Shelties--- we've had a few and loved them! They're beautiful and smart dogs. Debbi at debbisfrontporch