Monday, April 26, 2021

Saved Wine 1 bottle at a time but It's time to Cork it.

 


Saturday (4/10) We started off our wine day at Kerrville Hills Winery. We hadn't been in a couple years and decided we needed to go see what they had new. Pamela found a wine she liked and grabbed a glass and I got water to go sit outside. They had a food truck there so we got a snack of dumplings. It was gonna be a while before we had lunch since we hadn't decided yet where to go. Saturday was a beautiful day. Friday it go fairly warm but the wind made it bearable. We had thought about going to our favorite place Alamo Springs Cafe but I asked about taking our favorite drive up Hwy 16 to Bandera and have lunch at the OST Restaurant. Pamela had never been there so it was time to try something different.

Our thought was to take a picture of our tattoo's in the bluebonnets that proved to be an issue this trip since I had a bad knee. If I got down on the ground I might never have gotten up. That wouldn't have been good so sitting at the table I got a picture of our arms together. 

Shirley I know you're reading this blog. I bet you can tell which is my arm. ... The old one. LOL

We drove the twisting winding Hwy 16 to Bandera. It's such a pretty drive. There was some new sights and the little town of Medina seems to be growing. Had a couple of restaurants I don't remember from prior years. We didn't stop at the Apple Pie place and passed on going into a quilt shop that is there. It's not big but it's a quilt shop.. And I had to pass it up. It was getting late and we were getting hungry.  As we pulled into Bandera I noticed a few new eating places there too but our stop was the OST

I've ate here 2-3 times with David and it was delicious and this time was not a disappointment. Pamela got a cheese burger and I got their luncheon special of Chicken fried steak, mashed tators with gravy, toast and a salad. The chicken fried steak batter was just right and the steak wasn't mushy inside. It also wasn't greasy. Pamela said she go back to try something different.  After we finished eating we did go around the corner to the quilt shop in Bandera called Gone Quilting. Pamela was to help me pick out fabric for a quilt. With all that fabric we didn't find anything that fit what we wanted so I'll have to look elsewhere. From here we took a different route to get to Comfort Texas. 

Once in Comfort we headed to Singing Water Winery for a quick stop.  We've always liked their seating area.  They've done some work out there.  The creek is usually empty when it's so dry out but there was water standing and they're planting more trees along that creek.  Pamela grabbed a wine and I opted for water again.

The music was pretty nice too. Didn't know the singer but he had a good voice.

Our next stop was Hill Country Distillers. I had been waiting for this stop.  They make a Bloody Mary with Jalapeno moonshiner and zing zang. And I might add 5 dashes of tabasco sauce.  Soooo good.

We really love the bartenders too. Esma and her son Avery. They're friendly and fun.  April is Esma's birthday so it's fun to wish her happy birthday.  This year I bought her a shot. And share another with us. And before I knew my drinking was over for me but not for Pamela.  She was enjoying me as her true designated driver. LOL  We actually closed the place down. A first for us.  We ate lunch so late that dinner wasn't on the books again. We found a snack and headed back to the hotel.

Sunday (4/11) Time to pack up and head home. Boo. It' was a great Mother Daughter Trip but all good things must come to an end. For lunch we ran to Cafe on the Ridge. Great Prices, great quality and quantity. I ordered the garden salad with chicken salad.  This picture doesn't show it but that pile of chicken salad was huge. I couldn't finish it. But it was all sooo good.

When you eat in the cafe you can use your receipt and get 10% off your purchase in the nursery and gift shop. This time we didn't walk around and see what they had. It was packed with people shopping.

We were ready to head home.  We've found going home through Marble Falls and Georgetown is faster and a nice drive. We've been wanting to go to Flat Creek winery in Marble Falls but it either hasn't been open or we haven't had the time.  But this time they were open and we had the time. It's out in the country for sure but we found it and were lucky enough to stop for a tasting. 

                            

 We gave David a call to let him know where we were and asked if he wanted to me us in Rockdale for dinner. He did but he wasn't ready to leave yet so we had to find something to do for another hour so we stopped in Taylor at the Texas Beer Company. Pamela picked out a beer and again I a cider. We wasted some time there talking and it was time to meet David only he asked if we could pick him up and we'd go to Cameron for dinner. No Problem. 

Then on Monday at 7:44am it was official. David called in to work to see what was on the books and they gave him the all clear. David was done and he was retired. Yahoo! He came into my room, sat down and announced to me He was a retired man. Oh but don't worry he won't be bored. He isn't without projects. He's been planning for this day. He's got critters to take care of, landscaping projects, garden, organize his barn and garage. Oh and his newest project is a white 2003 mustang that will become his street race car. He has got the bug to race again. All these projects will be ongoing and keep him plenty busy plus he and I get to go out riding whenever we want and don't have to wait for the weekend. 


That's it for now.

Until next blog...“This above all: To your own self, be true”  ~  William Shakespeare









2 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Carla. Congratulations on your hubby's retirement. You will have a great time and even after I can't remember how many years now it is for us but I still think in terms of the weekend before we can go someplace. Sounds like a great time for the mother and daughter weekend..Take care..xxoJudy

Linda said...

I love your mother/daughter outings! I wish I had more with Summer and Amber!