Monday, February 28, 2011

My Book Club

I love being in a book club. When the club was formed we decided that would we’d go alphabetically by our first names to determine the book picking order. Each person would pick a book, the date of the meeting and the place to meet. Of course the date could change several times to accommodate as many members schedule as possible but the majority rules. We meet in restaurants and homes, with a home meeting being our favorite. If we use a restaurant we try to find one with a private room or get there before it gets too noisy. We read 5-7 books a year and meet about every 5-8 weeks. At our first meeting in February 1997 we discussed “She’s Come Undone” by Wally Lamb.

While the main character was a little far out there we all found some way to relate to the book. It was a depressing sort of book but you kept reading hoping for some relief and a happy ending. It had a sorta happy ending. But it has still remained one of the most memorable books. The book gave us plenty of discussion that’s for sure. We met at the Houston Culinary Arts and Design School . It was pouring down rain and the parking was limited so we drove in circles until classes let out. For fun I took pictures and then sent out a review of the night and thus earned the title of the “Unofficial secretary/photographer”. After 14 years they told me I could be the “Official” secretary/photographer.
As the secretary/photographer I keep track of whose turn it is to choose. Sometimes I’ll provide reading guide questions if our discussion gets to far off base or there’s a lull. I’m also lovingly called the ‘Book Nazi’ because I send out reminder emails to get their book and start reading that the meeting date is fast approaching. For fun I created a website http://wtsbookclub.bravehost.com/  where I could post the list all the books we’ve read along with dates and sometimes the place of our meeting for easy access for everyone. I’m still in the process of getting all our photos and reviews on there. Takes time to recreate or scan everything. I used to create a copy of our group picture for each member but now with the website I can post the pictures and they can view and/or print at their leisure.

A book, good Friends, good food, and maybe a drink or two… creates discussion and lots of fun...  
 And this group always has fun.


This picture was taken this January for our book One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus. Some of the same girls are in this picture are in the picture from 1997. Think we’ve changed? This book is based on an actual event, during a Pow Wow between the white man and the Indian chief  who requested 1000 white women as brides for his braves and in return they would provide 1000 horses.
Well for obvious reasons that never happened but in this book it did. Some of the people in the book are real people and were involved with Peace talks and the rights of Indians.
 For fun, Cindy, the girl that picked this book gave us a challenge. She had us draw names and at our next upcoming meeting we are to announce an Indian name for that person whose name we drew. Everyone was in rare for this meeting so no telling what names we’ll hear. Can’t wait to hear my new Indian name someone has chosen for me. I wonder if I should be worried.

So until next time…………………………..... “If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if You watch a lot of TV, you’re not considered well viewed”  ~Lily Tomlin~

¨))-:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))-:¦:-
      ((¸¸.·
Carla.·´-:¦J)
        -:¦:- ((¸¸.· -:¦:-

1 comment:

Linda said...

The book club sounds like such a cool way to enjoy books as well as friendships! I am going to check out the website and at least 'read along' with you gals!