Tuesday, April 25, 2023

"Oh the places we will go" Dr Suez Books and Quilts oh My

Let me start with David and saying he is doing well. He may have over did it Wednesday 4/10 working in the garden beds. He ran some errands and was feeling pretty good but Thursday he was feeling a little off. This man of mine has a hard time being idle.

Thursday 4/13 was the G3 book club meeting. Our book was 1984 by George Orwell. Oh wow. All I did was ask what did you think of the book.  And the rest was history. I'm sure a lot of my readers may have read this book back in high school. The book was disturbing for some of the gals due to the similarities to present day events in the world. This is why one of the girls picked this pick to wake people up. History being erased, the idea if you don't think like the party you're an enemy etc etc. I had Pam write the recap of the book and meeting this time. And one of the things she mentioned was sources state that Orwell modelled the authoritarian state in the novel on Stalinist Russia and Nazi Germany. Another gal brought up this connection to Stalinist Russia and talked about the fact that many things in the book really happened. During and after WWII there were many atrocities and there was no privacy in the East. It was a great meeting with lively conversation for sure.

Friday 4/14, David seemed to be better Thank Goodness. We drove to Tomball/Spring and had lunch @ The Cotton Patch with his brother Gary and His wife Lynn. Had a great visit. After lunch David and I drove down the street to the surgeon's office. Knee replacement conversation time. Surgery is scheduled for 4/26 and I will be staying over night since we'll have such a long drive from the Woodlands back to Gause. As the date nears I get more anxious. The knee is unstable but I hate having surgery. Uggh.

Saturday was spent preparing to go on quilt retreat that has been on the books now for over a year. I love going on the retreats and getting to re-connect with all my quilty friends since we live all over the place. But this trip will be a tad different. 

Sunday arrived and I'm all packed except for a few last minute items. My long time friend and sorority sister Sheryl arrived and we transferred her stuff to my car and off we go. I made a side trip by Pamela's to drop off the twins their Easter Bags I made up for them. The bags had bunny ears but no face. Wait where's the face?! Oh they want me to draw it. Awesome so I did and then filled each bag with one chocolate easter bunny, 2 bottles of bubbles, Gold fish and Nilla wafers. And would you believe I forgot to take a picture of the bags. I added the boys names too. Sheryl got to meet Kaleb's family when we stopped. They were down for a visit and burgers. The kids got a new grill and Kaleb was the grill master. It was funny the boys dumped everything out of the bags and went for the bubbles. Maybe Pamela can take a picture of them for my next post. LOL

So off Sheryl and I went to Texas Quilt Barn in LaGrange. I wish I could say I was excited to try a new place but there were a few issues. I have been organizing 2 retreats a year since 2013 so it's not my first rodeo. I won't bad mouth the place because other people may of had a wonderful experience but when I could never tour the place to see the layout which wasn't bad but I had no way of informing my ladies what to expect. And there was a slow or lack of communication.  We arrived and everyone was buzzing. All 20 of us were ready to see our friends and get to sewing on unfinished projects or start new ones.  

I got set up but didn't start much of anything since I was going to have to leave early the next morning to go pick up my step-dad Joe in Conroe and take him to have a pacemaker surgery. I left one of my friends in charge and she had notes of what I needed to happen and then they could sew away. I would be back to the retreat sometime Tuesday as long as everything went well with Joe.

Monday 4/17 I got up and drove to Conroe, Texas to pick up Joe and get him to St. Luke's hospital in the Woodlands. I dropped him at the front door while I tried to find a parking space. I found a spot in the free parking garage and got lucky and caught the golf cart guy to take me to the front door. Found Joe upstairs waiting to be called back. They finally called him back and after prepping him they called me back to sit with him until surgery time which was supposed to be at 1pm but the 2 surgeries in front of him were running behind. Yeah go figure. Joe finally went into surgery around 2:38pm. A little late. Surgery went great and the his doctor came out to talk with me. I liked his cardiologist. Around 5pm they called me back again to sit with him in recovery.  He was actually fairly alert and doing great. Just after 6 they told me to go get the car and I could take him home of course after they gave me all the discharge info.  It was kinda funny because Joe got a little upset because he asked the nurse to repeat something and the nurse said "you're still under the influence and you won't remember and for now I'm talking to her (meaning me)." Joe was still a little miffed when he got in the car but he got over it.  I was staying the night just to make sure he didn't have any problems and then his sweet neighbor Rick was coming over the next morning and was going to stay with him until Wednesday afternoon.  All went smoothly and Joe is doing great.

I headed back to the retreat Tuesday around 11am. I made one pit stop in Brenham at Hobby Lobby to buy fabric for backing for a quilt I had hoped to finish and hand off to my quilter at retreat. Got the fabric but didn't finish the quilt. I did finish one boy quilt and handed it off to her but had to mail the other one that finished at home a couple days later after retreat was over. Pictures of both will be in a later post. But I will share some from retreat.  My friend Donna Marie made this cute room assignment chart.

This is a bag I made to carry our wool ironing mat, cutting board, rulers, whatever. And I personalized it with her favorite color and embroidered her name on it.  Donna Lynn was the first to receive one. I now know what to do on the next one to make it easier I hope. Not bad for my first attempt. I told her, hers was the prototype.  It measures about 28" x 26" give or take.
Anna (on the right) was the first to finish up a top. And Kim got her blue quilted top back and got the binding done.
         
Love the blocks that Sandy Y was working on.  And you ask "How many quilters does it take to repair a featherweight?"  LOL  Obviously these 3.

Bekki and Donna Lynn were hands on and Kim R. decided to google and found the answer. They were all going in the right direction but the machine was being difficult.
Denise turned these blocks into a quilt top.

Love it. Can't wait to see how she backs it. She always uses scraps or excess blocks from the top to the back.

These two (Robin & Sheryl) do an art called felting. Sheryl made 2 scarves. And Robin made a backpack and she modeled a hat she had made. They manipulate with water and towels. It's quite the process.

 It looks like she's holding a turkey.
From turkey to finished product

I love each and everyone of these ladies for their over all support and contributions for door prizes. You know when you mix 20 different women personalities you could end up with drama and/or conflict but everyone in the group gets along really well. It's a great group of ladies.

I'm gonna have to split this up or it's gonna become a novel. So stay turned for part 2. But you'll have to wait until after my surgery tomorrow 4/26.  Wish me luck. I was hoping they'd make it a bionic knee but no go. So I'll settle for one that works. 

Until next blog post....Of all the diversions of life, there is none so proper to fill up its empty spaces as the reading of useful and entertaining authors

5 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Carla. You do keep busy don't you. Guess that is what keeps you "young and kickin". By now you have had your surgery and hope all went well and that you are up again very shortly. I know they don't let any grass grow under a person's feet after surgery now a days. Isn't the pacemaker surgery remarkable. My hubby came through wonderfully too and has had no trouble since then (October, 2022). You better sit back and take a rest for awhile my friend..Happy Spring..xxoJudy

Linda said...

Oh, my goodness!!! You do know how to pack a ton of life in every single hour of the day!! Good for you in taking care of your stepdad. You are a blessing whether he knows it or not!

Going on one of your retreats is still on my Bucket List!!!

Love you, Carla!!

BeachGypsy said...

Hi there Carla--glad you stopped in!yes the big purple bloom is a petunia- they look like velvet!-- and very hardy here in our zone of bad summer heat. Love seeing all the beautiful quilts!!--- much quilting in my family's history and there were always handmade quilts around. I wanted to wish you the best of luck on your surgery!!--- for it to be a success and you to recover fast so you can enjoy summer. Keep us posted when you can ok?

Lisa Roper said...

You’re a busy quilting and helping bee! I’m glad you and Dave are doing well, now if you can just keep him from overdoing! You take it easy!!

BeachGypsy said...

Hi Carla-- stopped in to see how you're doing after your surgery----hope all is well and you are well on your way to mending and recovering ! Thinking of you-- get well soon and post when you can