Saturday, April 1, 2023

Full Weekend and Friends

 Saturday (3/4) was a big day. Pamela, Kaleb and his 3 year old twins's came to the house for the weekend to celebrate my birthday that was on Sunday the 5th. Pamela and Kaleb are great together with the twins. Pamela's best friend from elementary school, Marlaina, her husband Josh with their 2 boys ( 7 & 3), plus her high school buddy Cole and his wife Beth came up. David grilled some really yummy hamburgers and hot dogs.  And we had baked beans and potato salad.  After lunch they went down to the pond and let the kids fish. The big boys fished too.   Josh and his boys caught some sun perch and Cole caught at least a 2 pound bass. David wasn't sure if any of the fish survived and yahoo they apparently did.

This was the first time we had got be around the twins, Braxton and Killian. We had met them once back in the fall and it was nap time so they ended up falling asleep. They were typical 3 years old's and all boy. The first thing they asked was if they could see David's race car. LOL.  David gladly took them out to the barn for them to see the car. Poor Braxton woke early Sunday crying because he was scared and couldn't find his brother who was actually in bed but buried under the covers. LOL. They had a full weekend of being in a new place, meeting new people and getting used to our big hounds. I asked the boys if they would come back again and they said yes. It was a great weekend.

  
Pamela and the boys
Killian, Connor, Thomas and Braxton(whose is hidden) having fun.
Pamela and Killian.  Cole and his wife Beth
Josh and his boys Connor and Thomas with their sun perch catch. Pamela & Kaleb.
Cole was center of attention with his bass catch from our pond. Wow 
  
A dad and his boys. Sweet
Josh and Laina's oldest Thomas was infatuated with Beth. She got a full lesson on every dinosaur.

It was a busy fun weekend even though I was still moving slow with my knee.

These pups are something else. Bruno is making sure Sadie doesn't get the attention. LOL




Thursday (3/9) G3, the book club met up to discuss a book called The Heart Mender by Andy Andrews.  What would you say if I told you that in the 1940's there were German U-boats in American waters and actually sunk 52-60  boats in the Gulf of Mexico. This book is about the war but it's about learning to forgive, trust and to mend the heart. The author wanted to share little known events that took place during WWII. Most of the girls liked the book and a couple said it was okay and that's fine. We're not all gonna like all the books we'll read. Two things stood out in this book.

  • Mr. King told Andy(author) that there is a difference between Germans and Nazi’s just like Americans and the KKK.  They are not one and the same.
  • The statement about democracy will die in chapter 10. Josef tells “History tells us democracy is temporary in nature and will die.  Once the voters realize they can vote themselves gifts from the public treasury and once that’s realized the majority votes for the candidate that can promise the most benefits from the treasury. Democracy falls due to loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. Average length of existence is 200 years.. “   
Is this sounding familiar to anyone…  We’re at that 200 year mark… Godbid.
I was off my game and forgot to get our group picture.  Oops

Friday (3/10) We finally hooked up with our friends the Jacksons. We've been trying since October but life kept getting in the way. We met up in Belton at The Gin on Nolan Creek for lunch and then we headed over to Salado to visit Axis's Winery, Chupacabra Kitchen with wine and craft beer, and finally stop was Barrow Brewery. It was a great day with good friends.

I'm always on the lookout for a new place to go to for quilt retreats so when I heard about Jester's Wild I called my friend Kim and asked if she'd like to ride with me and check it out.  So off we went. The place is just outside Taylor. I won't bore you non-quilters with all my video's but I'll share two of them. The owner put a lot of thought into what quilters want at a retreat. The place was spacious and bright. It holds 12 retreaters.  I will be booking a retreat here. First one is of the kitchen area and all it's space for snacks and drinks we bring and the 2nd one is of the work space. Every station has a design wall and 8 stations have 3 - 6' tables and 4 stations have 2 - 6' tables which leaves room for a table of their own which several of my girls have.

     
Pamela and Kaleb recently enjoyed a 1 year anniversary. I think it's serious. LOL.  They are definitely a good fit. Sometimes they sound like an old married couple.  
They had the boys a few days for spring break and they went to the Waco Zoo.  Pamela said it was a great day and a long one. Kaleb bought the boys a stuffed animal and you know who else wanted one and Kaleb couldn't refuse. LOL
    
Look at those faces. 
Wednesday (3/15) I rode into Houston with David. He dropped me off at the Gringos on 290 to have lunch with 2 of my former co-workers Samara and Donna Marie. David went on to lunch with the Taco Bell gang. I should have been taking pictures of these two but at least Samara took one of me and her. Gotta Love this girl.  It's been a while since I'd seen Samara but I do get to see Donna Marie at least 2 times a year because she goes on quilt retreats with me. So I'll get pictures of her and me in a couple weeks at our retreat. LOL
I better stop for now. Stay tune for the rest of the adventures for March.

Until next blog.. "No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting."
-- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
  

1 comment:

donna said...

Sew much fun being had. Pam and Kaleb look sew happy.
Ohhhh what a sweet retreat.
Loves you
donna