Monday, April 10, 2023

New Life, food, wine and Mother Daughter Adventures

 So on Saturday 3/18 David went to Pamela's to help her pick out some roses to replace the ones she lost in the ice storms we had this year. I went down too but I stayed at the house with Kaleb and the twins. Our job was to pull weeds and have the beds ready for planting.  Towards the end of pulling the weeds I had bent over and twisted to the left grabbing a weed I missed and when I did I heard a pop and the pain shot through my back was horrible. Plus when I tried to straighten up my hoodie got caught on the rose bush and I couldn't stand up. Kaleb had just went inside to take the boys to the bathroom. So in my mind I'm going "Come back Kaleb Come back."  to the tune of Titanic of Come back Jack....  I spent the rest of the afternoon inside with the heating pad.

Our bull Ferdinand apparently found his mojo and we got our first calf in over a year. Yay.  

Monday 3/20, Sweet Tea #5 is the proud momma. Daddy Ferd checking out his work. LOL

While Sweet T was busy bringing in new life David found more new life on the farm out by the garden.  He almost stepped on this little bunny foo foo. And yes I know he'll eventually get in the garden and help him/herself but we'll have plenty to share. Well not yet.
We tried a new keto friendly recipe called a Taco Casserole.  It was pretty easy and tasty but we ended up eating tortilla chips with it. Not many but a few.

  On Wednesday 3/22 I went to hang with Pamela and get our nails done. After we got our nails done we got the call her dogs were ready to be picked up at the groomers. While Pamela went in to get her dogs I waited in the car but then I saw this and started laughing. This is the self bathing side of where her groomer has a shop. Cute receptionist wouldn't you say. The dog would pop up every time someone walked in to greet them. 
Thursday Morning 3/23 it was time to get the 10th annual Mother-Daughter trip to the Hill Country on the road. We always have lots of fun and try to try something new when we go. Our first stop this year was Georgetown for some lunch at the Blue Corn Harvest Bar & Grill.
Pamela had the enchiladas and I had some tacos. Food was really good. I couldn't eat all mine of course. 
We walked around the square and stopped at the Georgetown Winery. Enjoyed and the wine was nice. It was really windy outside.
Oh and this was a first... Pamela was driving. I was getting to ride in her new Red Honda Pilot. I enjoyed the heck out of this trip. LOL
We headed down the road to a winery called Perissos in Burnett, TX. This was a new path for us to get to Kerrville. Lots of pretty sights.  And nope I don't have a drinking problem. It's not a problem at all.  This is probably my 4th glass of wine I've had in a year.  And on this trip I limited my drinking to 2 glasses a day. Water was my drink mostly. I was on the trip to spend time with Pamela and see the sights.
Friday the 23rd we went to the Hill and Vine on Hwy 16 in Fredericksburg for brunch. Very tasty food. Next we went to the 
Luckenbach Road Distillery off 290. Where I had Lemonade with whiskey and Pamela has a margarita. It's all outdoors and the weather was perfect for sitting out. Our next stop was Blue Lotus Meadery in Hye.  We got our glass of wine and sat out on the patio. A little bit of a view. 
 
Our next stop was fun. It was the Rhinory. Pamela did a tasting and I had water. We got to see Blake the Rhino. He is 4 years old and lives at the winery.  The owners were on a trip to Africa and the day before they left, 2 white Rhinos were killed so they decided that 20% of the wine sales goes back to the Save the Rhino foundation and 100% of the merchandise goes back.
 Meet Blake. One the workers went out to love on Blake and get kisses.
Never thought of a Rhino being lovable like that. Pretty cool.
We had one last stop before having dinner and that was Fiesta Winery. Pamela did a tasting and I did have a glass of wine. 
Dinner was at Alamo Springs. We have since our first time there found shorter ways of getting there plus now we know Siri won't drop us off into the middle of nowhere. We shared a hamburger and some onion rings. So good but so much food. 
Saturday we started off at Singing Waters Winery outside Comfort, TX and had lunch there. Pamela had a small salad and we shared a charcuterie board. We listened to the music and enjoyed the scenery off the deck. 
We like to sit on the tree house deck but climbing the stairs was not an option this time.
Front here we drove back to Kerrville and went to Kerrville Hills Winery. The people here are always so nice. We sat inside here. The picnic tables were in the sun and you could hear the traffic off the hwy.  More relaxing inside.
Pamela wanted to go to the Dietz Distillery that was right next to Das Peach House next.  I tried a Raspberry Vodka drink and I forget what she tried now. She ended up drinking half of mine. It was more than I could handle.  They had a view of a lake off the deck that we sat on.  After finishing up we walked over to Das Peach House where you could buy jellies, sauces, etc. The wine section had stopped serving when we got there and that was fine. I came home with jelly and a bbq sauce for David to try.  It was getting late and we had dinner reservations at the Cabernet Grill off hwy 16.  You have to get your reservations made about 3 weeks prior. They fill up fast.
I got an appetizer called Jumbo Lump Crab Gratin and Pamela order the surf n turf.  She shared some steak with me and a couple shrimps. I walked out full but not too full.
We're such party animals when we're in the hill country.  We usually get back to the hotel by 8:30pm. LOL
Sunday 3/25 we packed up and headed to somewhere new to eat. We went to Pier 27 Lounge and 8 Ball Pizza on the Guadalupe River. It was a little chilly sitting outside but it warmed up when they opened up the awning and the sun shined down on us. It was still windy so we had to hold down our napkins. But the view was worth it.
We got away early enough that I took Pamela to one more winery closer to home called The Rising Sun Vineyard in McDade, TX. She liked this one. 
And before we knew it, it was time to head on home to meet David and Kaleb for dinner at Julio's in Rockdale.
So ends our 10th annual Mother Daughter Trip. It was awesome.
Now that I've bored you with wine and food I'll stop. Hope you enjoyed the trip.
Until next blog....

4 comments:

Linda said...

I absolutely LOVE hearing about your Mother/Daughter Trips!! I would love to do this with my daughters. Summer and I used to talk about taking a mother/daughter cruise with Amber and someday that might happen. I think the last mother/daughter trip Amber and I had was when we went to London for her 21st birthday. The last one with Summer was the beach a couple of years ago.
Last August my son Jesse took us to a mountain cabin in New Mexico and we plan on going again this year.

Thank you for sharing your amazing life with us! And you are looking fantastic!!!

Kim Rice said...

Thank you for sharing your adventures!!! Loved hearing about each place you stopped🥰. You look amazing Carla and you look so happy. So sorry about your back issue with the roses, hope your feeling better at retreat. Otherwise we’ll have to set up your machine near the sofa!! See you soon!!!!
Hugs,
Kim R

donna said...

Sounds like you and had a wonderful time? Love seeing your baby cows. I would love to have your recipe.
Loves you
donna

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You are looking good!