Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Crappy Day, Take the Win, Then Awesome Day to a Relaxing Day

 In matter of 4 days things went from bleak to Awesome then Fun & Relaxing day.. Come ride the roller coaster.

Friday 9/15. I got up and got ready to go to the gym. Kelli wasn't able to join me today so I was on my own and be accountable for myself. I'm trying to be sure and go to the gym at least 3 times a week and every now and then 4.

I headed to the gym. Just as I got there I got a call from the social worker that goes and checks on the well being of my Mom at the home she stays at. She proceeds to tell me that my Mom's health has declined and they think she's in a transitioning state. Mom hadn't ate or drank anything for 3 days and was unresponsive. The social worker told me she would have the nurse call me with an update later. I go in and start to workout and trying to decide what to do. I called my friend Donna Kim to let her know I wouldn't be able to go to a quilt show with her because I would probably be with my Mom. Then my step father calls not knowing the social worker had already called and gave me the grim news.  I stopped my workout and decided I needed to go now to be with my Mom. I drove the hour and 45 minutes to my step father's, picked him up and we went to see Mom.  They were trying to feed her but she wouldn't respond. Dementia is a mean horrible disease. I'm sure Mom is tired of being in this state but it doesn't mean it's easy to let her go.  Joe and I stayed a few hours and Mom never acknowledged us and just slept.

Saturday 9/16. Pamela was working yesterday so she couldn't go with Joe and I Friday but I told her I take her down Saturday to see her Mimi.  I picked Pamela up, then picked up Joe and we went to see Mom. Ms Purity is Mom's caregiver. She's awesome. She walked out of Mom's room with a smile. I asked about Mom's status before walking into the room and Ms Purity goes she's awake, she's had something to drink and is finishing up her oatmeal. HOLY COW! What a change.  We'll take the Win for the day. 

She even acknowledged that someone else was in the room. I got her to talk a couple times.  Once she said "I'll be damn". Not sure why. LOL that was a phrase she used often prior and I got her to say I love you back. Now how long this will last I don't know but for now it's a win.  Pamela got to see her Mimi alert, for the most part and do a little talking. 

I had told Pamela I needed to get back home by 5:30 unless Mom wasn't doing good when got there. Maybe Mom knew that she needed to be okay so Pamela could have a special evening.

Pamela had no clue what was about to happen later that day. I only found out on Friday when Kaleb called to see if he should postpone getting together Saturday evening. That's when I learned of his plan.

So I got Pamela home by 4:30 and me home by 5:15. Just in time to change real quick and jump back in the car with David and go to BigShots Golf in Bryan. Kaleb, Pamela, the twins, his mom, sister and her financee' were already there.  BigShots is where it all started.  Their first date.

We didn't want Pamela to suspect anything so we told her we were there to meet our friends John and Kelli. She bought it hook line and sinker. David even played it up an hour later saying our friends were running real late. LOL. We were really there for her and Kaleb. They shot some balls for a while and we all got something to drink and eat. All of us were waiting for the big moment but it had been almost two hours. We were thinking that while Pamela was getting ready to hit a ball Kaleb would take a knee but he didn't. His sister was texting him "What are you waiting for bro?"  LOL Braxton and Kaleb taking their last shots.

Kaleb sits down next to Pamela and talking. Apparently she said she loved him. Now David saw Kaleb fishing in his pocket but the rest of us didn't. So the next thing I know I saw sparkles from a ring and he's asking Pamela how much and if she loved him this much. Me and his Mom are fumbling to get our cameras out to capture the moment.

And he pops the question... "Will you marry me"  Kaleb was pretty slick. Pamela had no clue and was surprised and of course said Yes.

It was awesome. Kaleb made us wait and surprised us all.



                       IT'S OFFICIAL! PAMELA & KALEB ARE ENGAGED. 
                                                     So excited for these two!

Sunday 9/17. David and I really did have plans today. We went to the Rising Sun Vineyards in McDade to pick up our wine and as club members we could partake in food. Today they were serving Red & Green enchiladas with beans and brisket spaghetti. They put way too much on my plate so David got to finish off what I couldn't eat. He was stuffed after that. We also got our free glass of wine.  Plus they now have a brewery and he paid to try a beer. It was much more pleasant at 95 degrees this time verses the 105 the last time we were there.



As of today 9/22 my Mom is still doing okay. She's eating and drinking. I'll be heading down to see her again on Monday. As of right now I'm heading to the gym. 
So until next blog...Each new day is a blessing. Let go of all worries and be grateful for all the positive in your life.


2 comments:

donna said...

I am sew glad your mom was alert for y’all. And seeeeew happy for Pamie.
Love you
donna

Linda said...

I read this earlier but I can only comment when I am on my laptop!
What a roller coaster you have been on! So happy your mom is doing better. It's hard, isn't it?

I am so happy for ALL of you with Pam and Kaleb's engagement! He is going to be so spoiled by you and David!!

You are looking so GOOD, my dear!