Thursday, September 30, 2021

Social Butterfly Friday

 Friday 9/24 was a busy day. I got up, got dressed and headed to Calvert to meet up my friend Linda from Linda's Life Journal.  Check out her blog if you haven't. She does a lot of cool things and is a talented artist. We meet over 10 years ago at a crawfish party and have been friends ever since. Her daughter's husband and mine used to work together back in Katy.  

I stole this picture of her that Sherry took. She's so photogenetic.
Anyway Friday was her birthday and after her visit to our place in August she decided we needed to meet up again for her birthday. Worked for me. We met at
 Farmers to Market Coffee shop which was great because I wanted to buy another bag of the Calvert Crack Coffee but OH NO! they were out! I ended up buying a bag of Mexican Canalli. Hope I like it.

Linda's daughter in law Sherry came too. Really enjoyed the company of both of these ladies. These two tend bees, all kinds of critters, garden whatever else on Sherry and her husband Dean's ranch. Found that she is too is a quilter. Probably better than me too. 
After we finished our drinks we started shopping.
Our first shop was Under the Chandelier next to the coffee shop. They have some really pretty jewelry pieces. Linda made her purchase and on to the Purple Pig Antiques next door. The lady in there has all kinds of cool stuff. 
I found something I couldn't live without. A very old quilt. 
I have plans for it. Just have to figure out how to make it happen. LOL. Linda found a couple things. In fact she found a denim jacket with some bling that looked to be in great shape. She's always finding the really good, and cool stuff. We nosed through the next antique store called ..ahh I forgot and can't find my receipt. Anyway as I started to walk thru I saw a wine rack. mmm a much needed wine rack. After mine and David's trip my wine bottles over floweth the built in and my cabinet. LOL. That wine rack came home with me and is now full of wine on top of my pantry fridge. Next door to this store was an open court yard that the gentleman that owns the store own this property and the next building he's fixing to open up. Well the open court yard provided us some photo opt moments.
We are all intrigued by the gecko hiding in the flowers. LOL. 
Linda is the energizer bunny. She's always doing something. I hope I look half as good as she does at 73. I for sure don't have the energy she has.  Our next stop is at the Cast Iron Bistro. They have yummy food. We were getting hungry.
 Just before our food arrived I looked up and here comes my daughter with 2 friends from Bryan. They came up to the Coffee shop and the winery in town. She had texted me earlier to see what I was up too and told her I was in Calvert with Linda. I told her she needed to come see me at the Cast Iron and she did. She was sweet enough to take a picture of Sherry, Linda and I. When the food arrived the girls took off but not before Pamela snuck a bite of the fried goat cheese ball on my Ocean Goat Salad.

a
Linda ordered Toast Cheese. (a grilled cheese sandwich with extra umpf) and Sherry ordered the Shrimp and Cheesy Grits
Everything was so good and lots of it. I left them in Calvert and I had to head home. David and I were going to be meeting friends later and wanted to hit the Antique Rose Emporium. 
On my way home I snapped a couple pictures of the cotton fields that are about to be harvested. As you drive towards them that look like the snow has fallen. My picture doesn't do it justice but trust me it does look like it snowed. 
I get home and David isn't ready to leave right yet so I actually had time to sneak in a quick nap.  Awwww.
Love the Antique Rose Emporium. All the roses and the color. David wants to make a bed like this in our yard but he says he needs to figure out where it'll go best.
Had time for a selfie. 
While David went inside to pay I stayed outside to play with the kitties. This one was lazing out on a pallet of potted pots. And then I caught her stretching and yawning. She looks mad and mean but she wasn't.    LOL
Larry called and said they were a tad lost but would be at the Independence General Store shortly. David loaded up the roses he bought and we headed down the road. We all arrived at the same time. Friday night menu at the store was Fried catfish and hamburgers. We all wanted Catfish. We grabbed a couple of beers and headed to the back to their deck that over looks a pasture of goats, maybe a chicken or two and at least 1 cow. It was a great evening to sit outside.
Back a few weeks ago I gave Sylvia a quilt I made along with a partial care package post breast surgery. I found this list recently on a site called Sparkles of Sunshine which I'll share with you in case you know someone fighting breast cancer.

1.   Throat Drops-During surgery, a tube is inserted down the throat for anesthesia.  This can make the throat dry and sore, and throat drops can really help soothe the irritation.  These Luden’s Wild Cherry Sugar Free Throat Drops worked great.

2.   Lip Balm-Chapped lips is another side effect from surgery, so a good lip balm is a must.

3.   Cleansing Wipes-It will be awhile before she can take a shower, and cleansing wipes can help her feel clean and fresh during this time.  These Yes to Coconut Cleansing Wipes are a great option and smell so good!

4.   Dry Shampoo-Since showering is off limits for awhile, dry shampoo can really help her feel cleaner. I’ve tried many brands, but Suave Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo is still my favorite.

5.   Neck Pillow-She may have to sleep on her back or sitting up for awhile, and a neck pillow will support her neck and prevent any neck pain. This neck pillow is super cute, and comes in many different colors!

6.   Bendable Straws-She will need to stay hydrated, and these will help her drink liquids while resting in bed.

7.   Slipper Socks-These will come in handy in the hospital, keeping her feet warm and keeping her from slipping while walking on the bare floors.  She’ll enjoy these at home, too!

8.   Button up Shirts-Button up shirts will be needed since she may have trouble lifting her arms above her head after surgery.  This will help her get dressed much easier.  You can also buy stretchable tanks/tees that can be stepped into and slipped up the body.  I found my mom some great stretchable tanks at Kmart on clearance that worked like a charm!

9.   Small pillows that fit under the arm-Small pillows are a must have item, to help prop up the arms to relieve pain and discomfort.  We were very fortunate that a wonderful group of ladies in our area make and donate special pillows for this purpose to the hospital to be given to breast cancer patients.  These were a huge blessing to her!

10.Magazines/Books-Like any surgery, there will be a period of recovery time and she’ll need to rest.  Magazines and books are a great way to help pass time as she recovers.

I didn't manage to get everything on the above list but I made a dent in it. The items in pink I got. And here's the pillows and seat belt cover I made for her with Aggie fabric. 

Our yummy catfish arrived and we ate it up. Well actually I had to share some of mine with David.  I couldn't eat it all. We sat out there on the deck until the darn mosquitos started nipping at us so we went inside so the guys could finish their beer while Sylvia and I talked. Us girls were getting tired and she needed to get her feet up so it was time to head home. It was a perfect place to meet. We both drove and equal distance. Good food, Great friends, good conversation and a beer or two. What more could you ask for.


Until next blog....Friendships are sewn one stitch at a time.

1 comment:

Lisa Roper said...

You have the best time, solo and with Dave! I can tell how happy you are! Calvert sounds fun! We hope to see you both soon. Xoxo. You’re an angel to list the breast cancer surgery care package. Brilliant!