Sunday, July 1, 2018

Eyes in the future

So David had cataract surgery back in December 2017 on his right eye. It was a fast growing cataract and was dead center of his eye. One week he can see and the next he couldn't. So within two weeks after the diagnosis he had surgery. At that time they were supposed to fix that eye so he could see without glasses. He'd had Lasik back in 2010 already. Well they over adjusted and he had to pop the lens out of his readers to see. It was a funny sight to see him with glasses on but one lens popped out. His brain couldn't make it work with the left eye so they decided to do Lasik on the one eye. So Now the fun begins. He scheduled his Lasik surgery and I scheduled time off to be his driver. Maybe a week later they call and reschedule. Okay fine. This happened at least 2 more times. Very frustrating but again okay. Thank goodness my boss is understanding. I told her to write those dates down in pencil we still had a week before the surgery and it could change again.
So the big day rolls around. I work half a day, head to David's office to pick him up, and we head to the doctors office. His appointment was at 1pm but we got there at 12:15pm. We're early. Surprise. We got lucky because Chick-fil-a had a table set up right outside the office in the lobby and we were hungry.
We grab a sandwich and munch while we wait for his turn to go back. I'm looking at this room through the big glass windows and realize I'll be able to watch him while he's having surgery. Oh Wow.                I keep seeing someone in there messing with one of the machines and figure they're getting ready for David.  Finally they call him back at 1:30 (appt was at 1) and maybe 15 minutes late his back to sit with me. This goes on 2-3 times more before they come out to say the laser is fine but it's not calibrating properly so they've called the tech. Uhh okay. They call him back again at around 3 something. They actually do some measuring etc and next thing I know he's back again. Really this is a little crazy. We can't just leave and go to another doctor because they'll charge him. This surgery is part of the follow up from the cataract surgery.. 
Finally at 4pm they pull him back and he appears behind the glass wall with his cute little blue surgery cap and booties. Only problem is they haven't given him the Valium or the numbing drops for his eye yet.  So he's sitting there and the nurse goes "oh we haven't given you a Valium, do you think you need it?" "Oh and we need to put the numbing drops in" Oh Lordy! David looked at her and said what do you think seeing that you're about to do surgery on my eye.  She gives him a Valium and puts the numbing drops in his eye. About time.. 
Oh and yes the Tech came in tested the machine and everything was fine. The Tech hung during the whole process to make sure everything when well.  
Wait the nurse is walking David to the table....!! It's only been 10 minutes tops... it usually takes 45 minutes for the Valium to kick in and the numbing drops take more than 10 minutes...  Okay so I'm watching and I see David squeezing his hands and the nurse grabs his hand and holds it then I start seeing his feed start fidgeting. Folks this is not a good sign.  At this point I know he's feeling discomfort.   When David comes out this is how he describes the process.  "It felt like he had a crow bar and gardening trowel in my eye" Apparently his lasik surgery from 2010 healed up so well that they couldn't peel that flap up easily to go in at the same place. We finally walk out the door at 4:35pm. The appointment was at 1pm.    Not very acceptable! At least at that moment he could see properly.  As of today his eye is really bugging him. It continues to feel like there's a rock in it and the vision is slightly fuzzy. I'm hoping his eye is just bruised from the doctor pushing and prodding on it. According to our immediate eye doctor the eye is healing up nicely. He's going back to the surgeon for a check up I think in a couple of weeks if the eye isn't feeling any better.  Cross your fingers/say a prayer that everything clears up. It's always something when it comes to me or David.
Last Wednesday there was sporadic storms rolling through the Houston area I got home from work and Lilley was all crazy and running around all excited when I walked in the door. I mean she's always happy when I come home but she was a little crazy but I didn't really think about it. Well David comes home later and he goes into our bathroom and yells what's your plan with the rugs in the middle of the floor. I had no clue what he was talking about so I went in to inspect and found this. And when I turned around I saw my c-pap machine was headed toward the end of my bed. Normally it's next to my night stand.
Right then I knew why Miss Lilley was all wound up and excited. The storms had thunder and she doesn't like thunder. She was apparently trying to find a place to hide. Not sure if she was trying to get under the bed or what. Poor baby. I gave her some extra hugs.   Never a dull moment.
On Friday June 22nd I got a text message from my neighbor to be at the Rock'n K with this picture,. YAHOO! We had been waiting for 2 weeks for the framer to show up but he was finishing up another job. Our builder reaching out to one of the other framers who bid on our project and offered them the job and viola' they showed up. I couldn't wait until we got there to see it in person.
So Saturday (6/23) morning David and I take off and we are on a mission. We are looking things for the house. Furniture, drawer knobs, ideas, even doors even though we've decided and got a pantry door and a door to my sewing room. 
One of our stops was in Somerville at a Rustic store we found there on HWY 36 and I can't remember the name but they always have pictures, some decor and furniture we like. We went to check out a vanity for the bathroom David saw on line but we had to pass. We did find a couple of possible rectangle tables we liked but we'll think about it before buying. The sink and counter top was hammered copper... out of our price range but as we pulled in there was a small pub table sitting outside and the price was right.  David was wanting to find such a table to put on the porch of the Mini Mansion with our tall pub chairs we got on sale at HEB last year.  After taking the top off they were able to put it into David's 4Runner and we headed to the farm to set it up. It was perfect.
You know what the rooms still look small now that the framing has started. LOL
 This picture was taken on the back patio. The window to the far left is my sewing room and the next window looks into the den.   When I said the slab doesn't look big enough to put 3 rooms across that end of the slab everyone said wait until things are framed out and it will make more sense. It does make sense but it still looks small.  
This is the front of the house. They were starting to put the sheeting on. We were told that the they'd start the rafters sometime this week so maybe when we go up this weekend it'll look even more like a house.  Can't wait to see what it looks like now.
We left the farm after setting up the table and headed to our next 2 stops. Like I said we were on a mission.  While we were at RND Rustics in Magnolia I saw these.  I see a Christmas gift in David's future. Only he's far from lazy but the boxers shorts Cracked me up.  RND has furniture, home decor, clothing, knobs, etc. We love to go browse and shop there. We found a rectangle table we liked here but we have time to make that decision. Our final stop was Willis Rustic furniture. We saw a nice couch set but that will have to wait. No tables there hit our hot button so we headed home. It was a full day of looking for something we couldn't live with out.

1 table is all we came away with.
Well that's it for now.  Until next blog.... Smile it makes people wonder what you're thinking.









2 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Carla, what a nightmare for you and David. Hope that his eye keeps on healing and soon! That sight of the new home must be so exciting. I bet you can't wait to have it ready to be at the point where you can really tell what it will look like..At least we know that your view will be spectacular..Happy 4th..xxoJudy

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

OMGosh....that is totally outrageous about his eyes. Yikes, I think maybe I'm glad I put off my cataract surgery.