Saturday, July 9, 2022

Bruno adventures and happenings

 I'm like a new mother with baby pictures. What can I say. Bruno does provide us with plenty of entertainment. Always landing in David's lap at the end of the day or chasing toads, grasshoppers and flies. And keeping an eye on his cows. He has now had 2 encounters, one with a ribbon snake and a very angry rat snake. Yikes. He never caught them or them him.  

He also likes my blanket I use when sitting in my recliner watching TV. He curled up on it and my feet one morning. When I got up the blanket fell on him but he didn't move so I covered him up a little more.



He was a tired boy and very comfy.





On Saturday, July 2nd Pamela and Kaleb came up to the farm to hang out and have dinner. We had pork steak, baked sweet potatoes and they had a salad.  It was a great day. I believe they had fun and I know we enjoyed having them here. Kaleb had some good stories and jokes and so did David. For dessert Pamela made a yummy Peach dump cake and served it with Blue Bell ice cream. I didn't have any for fear it might make me sick with all the sugar content but I know from past experience it is really yummy. Pamela went salsa and spaghetti sauce shopping in the pantry before they left. Little Brat. LOL But oh Gee I have plenty left.

So for the last 7 days all I've been doing is canning spaghetti sauce and salsa it feels like. Lordy have mercy.  So what you see here is in the pantry even after Pamela went shopping. LOL    24   1/2 pints salsa, 70   pints salsa and 26   quarts of spaghetti sauce
This was my last two batches of salsa on Sunday then David was so sweet and brought a bunch more tomatoes a couple mornings later.  He's so sweet. LOL  I need to turn them into salsa and maybe so sundried tomatoes. He grows and picks them then I get to transform them into something tasty.

On Thursday, July 5th I went to lunch with my friend Kelli Kennedy. No pictures. Oops. We went to the Cast Iron in Calvert. Kelli had never been but she enjoyed her big ole hamburger and I enjoyed my meat loaf and sides. We sat there quite a while after we were finished eating just talking. They were probably glad to see us leave.  I shared my leftovers with David that night. There was plenty leftover. 

David was busy this week. He was the hero for Kelli and our friend Sheryl.  Kelli needed help unloading a new washing machine and getting it hooked up and then Sheryl needed help with the lawnmower that was shooting out blue smoke.   He saved their day. He was glad he could help. 

And this Thursday, July 7th I went to lunch at Giddings Cafe in Giddings with my quilty friends Donna Lynn and Sandy.  There was a dual reason for meeting up. Donna Lynn just finished quilting a quilt for me. Now I need to get the binding done.  I thought Donna Lynn was gonna blow a gasket when we were getting our food. Of course I wasn't so happy either.  We had decided we would share a plate. Well Donna Lynn would share some of her food with me since I don't eat as much these days.  So when we go the plate Donna asked for a second plate the lady goes 'You can't share'. Donna Lynn explained that I couldn't eat a whole plate because of surgery but they lady told me I could get a vegetable plate. The meat isn't and issue it's the quantity so a plate of vegetables would be too much also. In fact I need the meat for protein. And the lady said NO SHARING. Okay fine then give the same plate. She offered me a roll and I said no I can't eat it and she offered me a drink of which I can't have either. Now it wasn't an all you can eat kind of thing so it didn't make sense.  So after eating my 4 or 5 bites of meat and veggies I asked for a doggie box.  With my luck I figured they'd tell me I couldn't have a doggie box but they brought me one..  Next time Donna Lynn can get the plate and then ask for a doggie box and then give it to me.  She would just be sharing her leftovers.

After lunch her, I and Sandy went to two quilt stores. Go Figure. LOL  First Stop was at All Around the Block. If you can't find what you want there you probably won't find it. The shop looks small but it's very deceiving. Next we drove down the road to Texas Quilt Barn. We'll be going there in April and October next year for quilt retreats. They are in the process of expanding their shop and adding many new fabric lines.  Before we left the Texas Quilt Barn, Donna Lynn gave me my quilt she finished. It came out sew cute. No pictures until the binding is on and the recipient sees it.  Donna Lynn then asked me if I had finished binding my Vintage Santa quilt to which I had to say No I hadn't. I'm working on it. Honest. LOL

While I was gone David had a lady call and show up interested in a couple cows and she bought two of our 1 year old heifers. Bringing our herd count down to 18. When I got home they were heading to the pasture to get the cows to the coral so they could load up the two she bought. While moving the cows David got ran over by one of the older cows who wanted the cubes he had in the bucket he was carrying and hooked him on the arm with her horn. I never knew it. He wasn't in sight when it happened. I thought he looked tired but it was 100+ degrees out. Thank God he's sort of okay.  His arm is a little banged up and his back is a little more sore than usual. But knowing this man he may not be telling me how much he really hurts. I know he's got to be sore.

Then Friday morning, July 8th he had the young man down the road name Garrett come down and pick up another 11 cows and take them to the sell barn. That leaves us with 3 cows, 2 steers and 2 bulls. One of these bulls is a baby. He was to young to get banded in March to become a steer.  oh and we still have charming Jerry the donkey.  I think I got that count right. We needed to do something. Our pastures are brown and feeding 21 critters adds up.  No rain and this heat made hay prices soar and in short supply.  Now Ferdinand can do his thing and give us new little ones.

My Maintenance Phase which will be for the rest of my life has been going okay. So far so good. I keep reading about some of the bariatric patients  not being able to eat most foods without getting sick or their taste buds have changed and it tastes bad.  On Monday I was down 31 pounds. Yay. Let's hope I can meet the Doctors goal of losing another 14 pounds by August 23rd.  Right now that sounds like a lot.  Challenge on. 

That's it for now.

Until the next blog post: Always remember you’re unique. Just like everyone else.












3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear your weight loss journey is progressing well, despite the ignorance that still abounds. Try to educate when and where you can. I deal with this too with my celiac disease. I'm going to try behavior modification one more time. Read that as using portion control (eating less) and eating more protein and veggies and eliminating or vastly reducing the starchy and sweet stuff. C.

Carla said...

Thanks Anonymous "C" I can't reply directly without a name or email address sorry.
The weight loss journey to moving slow but I know I'm going to be more healthy in the long run. Good luck on your journey. Carla

donna said...

Sweet Bruno.
It was a great day with friends and got you out of canning for a day. Lol!!!!
Love ya
donna