Friday, July 22, 2022

Mother Nature & Friends

 

 Friday morning (7/16) I went out to sit on the porch with David and Bruno. They do a ritual every morning just like when Lilley was here. They start in the back and then eventually they end up out front. I join them sometimes. It was actually pleasant out front. Bruno is getting the hang of staying close by but does love the chance to explore in the front pasture. 


The bees were buzzing and the hummingbirds were well fighting for the feeders and zipping around. 
This one little hummer was very interested in me. He stopped in front of me and kept inching closer to me.  And I got lucky by moving slow enough and got some pictures of him.


Hummingbirds are so interesting and cute. 
The whole time I was messing with the hummingbird Bruno was on watch for anything moving on the ground. Like snakes, lizards, toads, bugs, you name it. It didn't take long before he saw a lizard and he was off. 
Now if we could just get some rain. It's been at least 2 months. Again we could see it, hear it and smell it but it hasn't hit the Rock'n K.
That evening we headed to Kenney, TX to the Kenney Store for some dinner with our friends the Prudhommes.  We didn't expect the crowd when we got there but we headed to the back room where it was crowded or loud at the moment.  Then the band started playing inside and not on the outdoor stage. We couldn't hear ourselves talk the band started playing so loud. Once we finished eating, we went outside to their beautiful outdoor patio. That's where the bands normally play but they thought it was too hot. With the fans on it was actually pleasant and guess what we could talk and hear except there was a group of young kido's playing Red Light Green Light. They were very loud but it was manageable compared to the band inside in tight quarters. LOL.  Sylvia and I are worried we might make bad grandmothers. mmmm  
It was good to see our friends, Larry and Sylvia. Sylvia gets to ring the bell Thursday the 21st after her last cancer treatment. So happy for her.

She sent me a text the other day telling me she had finished working out in the yard, cleaned up and was sitting down to watch TV with her favorite quilt. I was glad to see she was using my quilt I made for her. That's the highest compliment a quilter can get. You know what I mean. You know they really like it and understand the purpose. A quilt is filled with love, hugs, warmth and comfort. 
Speaking of quilts.... I have finished the bit of work on my Vintage Santa Log Cabin Quilt. Thank Donna @Donna's Lavender Nest for quilting it. The candy cane quilting theme is sew cute. I love it. And thanks for the backing suggestions.


Onwards and forwards.. I have two more quilts to bind and then start on my next quilt and it's for a little girl and then one for a boy.
    So December 22, 2018 we moved into the Rock'n K and what a transformation to today. David has been working hard on the landscape.
Now if this damn heat and lack of rain for the last 2-3 months don't kill it. We're watering when we can. Of course with Bruno's help. That boy loves water. At least he dries off faster than the shelties.
In 2020 David was working from home because of Covid and started deciding on a layout  and what plants he wanted after work. And look at it today.
  

He's still working what else he wants to fill in the bare spots. The Belinda rose bushes were filled with huge pink blooms but of course now they're struggling with the heat.  I'll have to take a picture in the fall when it cooler and they should be in full bloom.  David loves his plants. He has the green thumb in this family.
He sold one more critter. It was a steer to a family who wanted to feed him out for freezer camp next year. So we're down to 3 cows, Ferdinand the bull, one 8 month old bull and another steer Bandit that will be going to freezer camp in September. And we still have charming Jerry the donkey. He got pampered this morning. The fairer came out and trimmed up his nails. Jerry felt like a new man. LOL   7 animals is much easier to feed and manage. Of course if Ferdinand does his job there will be new calves in the future.
It's hot as hades out and just as dry so any adventures will be inside. 
Progress update: I didn't weight like usual on Monday. I didn't want to see the same weight but today I went for it. I'm down 35 pounds now. Slow and steady said the turtle wins the race.  Why is it so easy to put it on but coming off is so painful? It's not really painful unless I eat or drink to fast. And maybe kinda loud. I get a squeaky hiccup/burp. 
So until then...“Sleeping is hard in the very hot weather because the blanket is too warm but I can’t take them off as monsters might get me.” – Unknown

9 comments:

Linda said...

Hello!!! I have been missing a few posts so I am catching up with you this afternoon! It is SO hot!! I get excited now when it's 'only' 100 degrees!!
Love seeing what all you've been up to!
You are doing well after surgery! The numbers will continue to fall.....then you can get new knees like mine!!!

Annie said...

What a great Christmas quilt! A lot of fussy cutting and log cabin sewing. I love your decision to have the dotted fabric on the back. It adds to the whimsy of the quilt front. And a great contrast too. Your property looks awesome.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great photos, quilts, etc. Looks like you are doing well.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Carla. House is looking great. 💜

donna said...

Love seeing your pictures. You have a beautiful home.
Love ya
donna

Anonymous said...

I’m sure you know this but the hummingbirds that are red are called Rufus and they are very aggressive towards the other hummingbirds lol. I was watching the hummingbirds up here in Montrose Colorado and the lady with the feeder told me the difference between the hummingbirds

Carla said...

Thanks to my anonymous commenter. I'd love to reply directly to you but when you reply anonymous and don't sign at least your first name I can't. But thank you for reading and commenting.

Carla said...

Thanks to my anonymous commenter about the hummingbirds. Yep I know about the ruby throated hummingbirds. So far this year I've only had one show up early in the season. I'd love to reply directly to you but when you reply anonymous and don't sign at least your first name I can't. But thank you for reading and commenting.
Carla

Anonymous said...

Wow! Big difference on the landscaping pix! Can’t believe y’all have been there four years! Beautiful quilts and flowers. Prayers for rain! Lisa Roper