Friday, January 5, 2024

Happy New Year. Goodbye 2023 Hello 2024

Someone posted this Happy New Year picture on the quilt bee messenger and I thought it was sew appropriate. 
On December 27 David and I were driving into Bryan for some things and listening to the radio. I Sirius in the car and sometimes some of the songs catch us off guard. I mean there's no filter obviously.  We both looked at each other like what did they just say and then I looked at the screen on the radio and yep we heard right.  Alrighty then.
Maybe they should have been playing this song when we were almost home and about to turn left on our country road.  Thank God David was paying attention because just as he was about to turn left this big solid black tour bus came around the car laying on his horn with oncoming traffic closing in. He ran the cars off the road passing us and almost ran us over.  This has happened more than once when we need to turn left.  Most people will pass on the right (the shoulder) but not this idiot and the other idiots who've tried to take David or I out. I guess they have somewhere important to be and everyone else don't matter.
I took a picture the other night to show my progress in my weight loss. It's kind of stalled these past few months and with the holidays I haven't ate the healthiest. Still can't and won't eat large quantities like I used to but I've added some sweets in there.  I'll be going back to the gym on Wednesday. I still want to lose at least 60 pounds.  
It has been a tad more fun when I go shopping for clothes and buying the smaller sizes. Plus my knee is in working order and I feel much better.  Here I am from 2020. I knew I was heavy but I didn't realize how heavy. I think it's called denial.  And the knee was messed up at the time too. I don't think this was even at my heaviest. 
December 28... Kaleb was home with the boys all week so they got to try out their new bikes and play at the park with Dad.  Pamela was working so she didn't get to have fun and play.

This is sight I never thought I'd see. Brianna is more of a hyper dog but she allowed Killian to actually lay against her and I was told he even went to sleep laying against her. Sweet. 
When we went to Bryan the other day and survived, we went to Home Depot. While there was I was looking for an end table with an attached lamp. David was looking in the paint aisle but I saw this lamp table and put it and a second one in our basket.  We had seen it a few months back but didn't get because we were thinking it was too short. I decided let's try it and it works!  The picture on the right is from the box so you could see the detail.
 
When I'd sit in the chair to do sewing hand work or read a book we'd have to turn on the bright ceiling light on and this is much nicer. Plus the table we have next to David's chair is now, is not very sturdy and the dogs have gone between it and the couch and the table would crash down. So he got a new end table with a lamp too. He got mine put together first and will get his put together soon.
I have several projects I need to work on and finish. I even hung up some blocks that I started but haven't made any more. I added another block up there today. I started making blocks of houses. And I need to get the orange embroidered piece framed and hung that my friend Bekki made me. And there are several quilt projects in totes waiting to be completed.  
Anyway I was looking at the bags and totes of scraps I have saved and thought I need to use them somehow or toss.
This is just a couple of them.


My friend Donna Lynn told me I should make a crumb quilt. I've tried before but would stop after two blocks because I wasn't sure I liked the scrappy look but I went for it this time. I picked up each scrap and started sewing them together every which way. 
They have a crazy quilt look. I'd sew a couple pieces together and pick up next couple pieces and chain stitched away. Once I got a big enough piece I'd cut 5" blocks out of what I stitched together. While trying to sew Sadie came in and squeezed in between me and the table.  
She barely fit but she was my sewing buddy for about 20 minutes then she moved on.  I have made 63  - 5" blocks.  Once I get enough blocks for a throw size quilt I'll have to decide what color sashing and border to use.  Funny thing is the scraps pile doesn't look any smaller.
(12/31) Pamela, Kaleb and the boys went a friends house in Hockley to bring in the new year. They all had a great time. The boys got to swim in the heated pool and play with some new friends. Well they have meet them a couple of times. And they got play with fireworks.
The girls are twins two.
David and I stayed home and we actually made to midnight. Happy New Year. Wishing everyone health and happiness in 2024.  Goodbye 2023...
We babysat our grand pup Bri while the kids were in Hockley.  She, Bruno and Sadie played all day. Sadie and Bri semi cooperated in taking a picture for the new year. LOL

I guess I better get back to busting my stash of scraps. 
Until my next post..“The New Year is a painting not yet painted; a path not yet stepped on; a wing not yet taken off!”


.•*´¨ ) ¸.•*¨) -:|:-
(¸.•´(¸ ;.•Carla.♥

2 comments:

Betty said...

Carla, I am SO pleased with your weight loss progress. You look MARVELOUS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well goodness Carla!! So thankful you and David survived that trip to Bryan!!! And GIRL! Don’t you look positively svelt! Good for you🥰🥰🥰 and I’m so glad your knee is doing good. Keep up the hard work, leaving sweets behind is tough. But obviously you are winning the battle.🎉🙌🏻🎉🙌🏻🎉. Looks like your 2024 New Years was way more exciting than mine but that’s the way I like it, asleep LOL!!
Looking forward to a great 2024!!!
And more of your blog 🥰