Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Let's go to Luckenbach Texas

Let's go to Luckenbach, Texas
With Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we're livin'
Got us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys
Between Hank Williams' pain songs and
Newbury's train songs and Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain
Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain


Okay so the Engergizer Bunny has just a little more battery life so on Wednesday the 9th David and I with some friends went to Main Street Crossing to see Max Stallings and his beautiful wife Heather. They were awesome. They always are but tonight they were rockin'. As he sings and plays guitar, Heather is playing a mean fiddle. You know if I had know a fiddle/violin could be played like that I wouldn't have cringed when I was in band listening to them play. Hell I might have even tried playing one. Listening to Max and Heather play and sing is how we started our weekend.
David and I hit the road Thursday morning and headed to Fredericksburg and Luckenback for a weekend of fun with friends, music and wine and/or beer.
Thursday was a free day of just shopping and walking in Fredricksburg. One of the places David wants to hit is Hondo's for a jalapeno margarita that he has heard is killer. I'm afraid the word killer might be an indication of what it might do to us. 
That evening we met up with our friends Ross and Sheryl for dinner at Crossroads Saloon and Steakhouse. Dinner wasn't bad but it was rather pricey. Then we walked across the street to Hondo's to listen to some live music which happened to end after 2 songs. We just sat at one of the tables outside, talked and enjoyed the evening. No margarita we were too full from dinner. The night air was actually a little cool.
Friday we get up and head into town again for Breakfast. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place but it was down close to Crossroads and Hondo's. David and I have this thing for Migas' and try them at all the restaurants we go to that has them. It's scrambled eggs with tortilla chips, refried beans and tortilla's. Yum oh and bacon. It was very good and prices weren't too bad. 
After breakfast we went to the Pioneer Museum.
In all the times we've been to Fredericksburg we have never checked it out we did this time. You learn of the German way of life from 1840's to the 1920's. You'll hear the stories of who built the community and their struggles. This picture is of the bedroom, living room, baby's room and sewing room. It's about a 10x10. Are we spoiled these days or what. We have a room for everything. 
Can you image doing your 
laundry in something like this?






This was the bathroom and not just a porta potty. My grandparents didn't have running water in the house so I used one of these up until I was about 9 years old. They finally moved into a house with running water. 
After the tour we headed back to the hotel to pick up my friend Sheryl while her hubby worked. The idea was to go shopping but we ran into our friends the Ragan's and they were heading to Comfort to their favorite winery. "Bending Branch" So I chose to go to the winery instead of shopping as long as Sheryl was game and she was.  

Before meeting the Ragan's at Bending Branch we went down the road to 'Singing Waters' winery to sample their wine. We each tried various wines and was looking around when one of the workers walked up and asked if maybe for a free glass of wine we'd go sit in the tree house and let their photographer take pictures of us.
Who are we to turn down a free glass of wine and be famous. Well at least in our minds we were famous. This is me and Sheryl. Hey wait a minute she still has wine in her glass. Mine is all gone.  


Now we're off to the Bending Branch to meet up with Tim and Gigi. They were calling to letting us know they had already polished off a bottle of wine and wondering where we were.
They shared their cheese and salami while we sat and drank a bottle of wine. David was being silly. 

Of course I couldn't pass on a picture of an old truck and an old man. My Man.


It was starting to get late and we wanted to be at Luckenbach by 6. 

We ran to the hotel to pick up Ross who stayed behind to work and we all went for a bit to eat at Hilda's Tortilla Factory. I had some pretty tasty fish tacos. 
 Before we knew it was time for the Thomas Michael Riley Music Festival to begin. We get there early enough to find a table and wait for the show to begin.
We listen to Thomas Michael Riley, Tommy Alverson, Chris Well and Jamie Richards and then...........
Around 10 pm it was time for Max Stallings to play.  Max had another musician playing guitar with him that night that we also like to listen to. His name is Bryce Clarke. 
We've only seen Bryce and his wife Brandy perform at a couple of different venues. And she like Heather plays the violin.  Bryce and Brandi have the cutest baby girl named Acuff-Rose.
Okay I know there's a difference between a fiddle or violin but I can't remember what it is. All I know is that these girls know how to play it.


Anyway we got to hear Max and Bryce. A two for one. Win win.





The only two things in life that make it worth livin'

Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
I don't need my name in the marquee lights
I got my song and I got you with me tonight.
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love




Sheryl and Ross






Me and David





We stuck it out until about 11:30 pm and Max was still playing but we were dragging and ready for some shut eye.
Saturday David and I got and went back to Hilda's for breakfast and then did some shopping in town. Everyone was doing their own thing this morning but at some point Gigi texts to say they're heading to The Fiesta Winery if we want to meet them so off we went. We found a couple of wines we liked and bought a couple of bottles. The rest of the group was going to head to Grapecreek Winery but David really wanted to go back to Bending Branch so that's where we spent the afternoon out on their deck drinking wine. Tim and Gigi have created a Bending Branch monster. LOL
On our way back David stopped so I could take some pictures. And get this it was a normal stop. No sliding to a stop like usual.




The fields were covered in blue bonnets.










We all arrived back at the hotel at the same time. Gigi had to show off how agile she was by climbing into the back of another Davids truck to grab a dirty diaper some one had tossed into it. Gross! Why do people do stuff like that. 
Out in Luckenbach, Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain

Okay so we get back to Luckenbach in time to get a sex education class. The hen is submitting to the roosters demands.

The Hen got lucky because just as the Rooster jumped on top of her people talking loud and yelling disrupted his train of thought and the Hen ran for her life. LOL.


Time for the show and out comes Davin James and his side kick Cletus

Davin gets into his music. Watching him is half the show. He plays an awesome guitar and can accompany any one he plays with.

A little Sweet Tooth and Magnolia
He has a new CD coming out called the Buck Owens Freeway.
Can't wait to get it.




Davin realizes I'm the one taking pictures

This is the first time David and I have heard him somewhere besides Puffabelly's in Old Town Spring.






This was the wedding truck with a bed in the back. LOL It was at the wedding that was going on out in the field behind the Dance Hall. It was quite interesting.





Next out after Davin was the Tejas Brothers. OMG. These guys were awesome and the guy here on the accordion. Holy cow he could play and perform up a storm.

One of the last songs they played was Louie Armstrong What a Wonderful World. How he got his voice like that was amazing. You would have thought Louie was up on that stage. I really enjoyed listening to these guys. David bought me 2 Cd's so I could listen to them anytime.
Thomas  came back out to entertain us even though he had lost his voice. Of course he needed help on his song 'Holler and Swoller'.     He did an impressive job of singing for someone who couldn't talk earlier.  The show must go on right?
The closing act was Hal Ketchum. It was like people swarmed to the stage. I never could get a good clear shot of him.
Great music as weekend!

It was a beautiful night. What a great weekend for wine drinking, music, beer, friends and entertainment and more music and friends.
Moon over Luckenback
Then there was Sunday...... Woke up feeling okay. Met up with Sheryl and Ross for breakfast and headed home. We decided to take the long way home thru Marble Falls across to Bryan etc. Well by the time we got to Marble Falls I was feeling not so good. By the time we got to Bryan stopped in to see Pamela for about 20 minutes. Only that's when I became Reagan from the Exorcist. I'm dating myself with that movie but I'm sure some of you remember the scene where her head spins and she spews.  I had to clean up Pamela's bathroom and then she had to clean more after I left.
Bad Mommy Bad. A Bad way to end a wonderful weekend.
So guess what we did this past weekend?????????? 
Nothing!. We went for dinner and sat on the patio one night with a glass of David's Hard Lemonade. (Crown and Simply lemonade)
Still recovering from Luckenbach and all the other running we've been doing.
We did go to David's brother house for Easter dinner and family time. Pamela wasn't able to make it in because she didn't want to drive that far without her boot on since it was her right foot she broke.

Have I lost ya yet? Okay that's all the excitement or boredom I can provide in this long post.

Until next post....“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that’s all”
~Oscar Wilde  


5 comments:

carla said...

Hi Carla!!!! Love your name!!! Sounds like you all had a wonderful adventure!!!! Thanks for visiting my blog and for the sweet comments!!!!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Carla. Wow, when you go out you really do it up right. Sounds like such fun. I've read alot about Fredericksburg in some of my magazines. Sounds really interesting. You and hubby look very happy..Hope you have another great weekend..Judy

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Goodness you have a fun and exciting life!!! So were the killer margaritas...Killers lol?!

Carol

donna said...

Geez girlie sounds like had a blast. I love to go to Fredericksburg. The food is so good there. But I do not think I knew about the museum. We will have to check it out. I love the quilt that is on the bed. Hope you are having a great day my dear.
Hugs
donna

Linda said...

First of all - I love your new blog look!!! I have so much fun 'following' you and Dave around!!
Y'all do know how to enjoy LIFE and each other!! Cheers!