Friday, December 3, 2021

Yee Haw and fun

 So the last time David asked me to go to breakfast in Calvert and run errands we found everything closed because it was a Wednesday. LOL So this time we planned our activities for a Thursday. Our first stop was the Old Calvert Hotel for breakfast. Cute décor and yummy food. David had an omlet and I had waffles.  We want to go back  for a lunch next time. Their hours are 7am - 4pm. The owners are working on opening up the Bed & Breakfast section of the hotel soon. They do have special events periodically in the late afternoon/evening so I'll be following their facebook page.

Outside just to the left of the entrance to the café is a wall of Morning Glory's. So big and pretty.
After this we headed to get our vaccine booster and then on to Lampasas's to pick up David new flatbed trailer.  He sold one of the one's we had so he could get a slightly bigger and stronger trail to carry a car.  The one he sold could hold a car but once you drove the car up you could get out because the trailer rails kept you from opening the door... Oops.
On Monday (11/22) the Robertson County Vet came to vaccinate the cows, to tag and steer our younger bulls. Since I'm not able to get around the pasture or corral smoothly because of my knee and probably because I'm a klutz David asked a neighbor's son to come down and help. When we moved up here Pamela found out her Chief Nursing Officer, Amber lived on our lane and her young son was real handy with cattle and other ranching detail. Oh boy was that the truth. Garrett is awesome. He knew exactly when and what to do and was a great help!  Thank God Garrett was here because I could have never had the strength or coordination to operate the head lock. This young man is full of knowledge, hard working and so polite. Can you tell we were totally impressed and grateful for Garrett's help. David said he learned a lot this day and hopes to pick up a few more tips from this young man.
First the cows had some issues getting through the head lock because of their horns.  When they did, you had to be ready to close the head lock to capture them.
I should have gotten a shot of Garrett in action but I didn't. This Bandit our 1 year old bull. He was not happy at all but then what bull would be.

Our Thanksgiving was small this year. It David, Pamela and I. Pamela bought the pies and sent them home with me the day before Thanksgiving so she wouldn't forget them. LOL.  Well David thought it wouldn't hurt to have a piece of the pecan pie since Pamela doesn't like it anyway. LOL I snapped this picture of him and sent it to Pamela. Didn't take her long to call and say he better not eat all the pumpkin. He didn't touch it.

Thanksgiving morning David and I took a ride out into the pasture to check on the cows and our neighbors cows came to the fence line to see what was going on. They are 3 times the size of our Dexter cows and they love Jerry. Jerry goes up to the fence to get their kisses.  They're so nosey. Those big eyes starring at you.

Then there's Ferdinand. He's been playing in the hay bale David just put out but he was curious what we were up too. He even let David pet his nose quickly before turning away.
Our garden has gone nuts producing tomatoes like crazy so I decided to can some salsa. When I was doing the last step of boiling the jars of salsa I noticed salsa in the pot. Didn't know why until I pulled the jars of salsa out to start sealing.  Has anyone else had this happen? The bottom of the jar just broke off cleanly.  

Wednesday (12/1) I got up and drove down to Pamela's to go into Houston for hair appointment.  I hadn't been in to see Brittany in over a year and half. I was just visiting. It was good seeing her and the shop owner Joyce.  Of course I do need to go get my hair spruced up but I do that in Rockdale at the Talk of the Town with Gene these days but I haven't been for a while. 
I stayed the night because the next morning I had to be up at 5am so I could drive Pamela to Houston Intercontinental Airport for her trip to Mexico. We left her house at 6:15am and got to the airport at 8:05am. We had to make one stop for coffee and a Danish for me.  It was hard dropping her off at the airport.  I can't lie I might have teared up.  I'm such a goofball. Anyway she's on her way to Mexico for the wedding of her friend/my adopted niece Hannah to the love of her life Phil.  Maybe she'll let me share some her pictures from her adventures. 
After dropping her off I was going to try and have lunch with a former co-worker but when I called to see if she was available she was sick. Poor Samara. So I started to work my way back home. I called to see if Mom and Joe minded if I came by for a visit but they didn't answer so I stopped at a quilt shop in Montgomery, TX. I saved several yards of fabric from the shop. LOL It was crying for my help..... 
 The Montgomery Quilt Shop is a sweet shop with a sweet owner, Kimberly. If you get a chance you should go check the shop out.  Can't share pictures of the fabric because it's gonna turn into a quilt for someone special.
While shopping I got a call from Joe and said for me to come on by. So I paid for my fabric and headed down the road.
Today was a good day for my Mom. For the moment she seemed to recognize me and her smile was in place. Joe sat and visited for a while but then he went to take care of some business while I talked and teased my Mom.  I pulled up Snapchat and took some pictures. It made her laugh.



Especially this one.  Aren't we cute?  LOL.  I hung out for almost 2 hours. She started getting tired but it was a good visit. 
I said my goodbyes and headed back toward College Station to run a couple of errands and pick up Pamela's pups who were coming to stay at the farm while their furless Mom plays in the sun in Mexico.

When I crossed the railroad tracks on our road the girls started barking. They know when they're almost to the farm. They get to see their Furless Gramps, Lilley, the cows and Jerry.  Yahoo.
Well that's it for this post. I'm all caught up. I'll see what I can get into over the next few days to write about.  Might be a few things coming up.

Until next blog......Remember, we all stumble, every one of us. That's why it's a comfort to go hand in hand. Emily Kimbrough


  







1 comment:

Linda said...

You certainly stay busy! Love seeing what all you are up to!
Your mom does look good and I am glad it was a good visit.