Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Rock'K Bird Habitat!?


 Welcome to the Rock'n K bird habitat. Last year we won the fight but not this year. The Eastern Phoebe laid her eggs without a mess and her babies arrived safely. Unlike my baby blue birds last year.  The babies were so crowded in the nest they were sitting on the edge and then there was a mess.
And then they were gone. We never saw the babies learning to fly or fly away so David cleaned everything up to have our patio back only to find the other day a new next being built.  How many times do these things next.

Also this year the barn swallows were trying to next in the corner directly over the Outdoor Kitchen area. OH HELL NO!  These things are MESSY! They're pretty and we enjoy watching their synchronized flying but NOT the mud and the poop everywhere. David has continued to knock down the beginning of any next before they start laying. Looks like we won that one but lost in the front.  We didn't realize they had built one on the front of house on the wood trestles up high under the eaves.  Fun. Because it's a major family reunion when the babies hatch and ready to fly. The ones that built on Davids outdoor speakers had at least 50+ birds flying and perched on the guttering and garage roof line.  It was crazy.

David had noticed some twigs in the rose tree pot and thought I don't remember having sticks/twigs in the mulch. On closer inspection he found a birds nest.
When I went out I saw 2 Mockingbird eggs. So pretty. Surprisingly Momma bird never came swooping in for the attack.  Even though I was expecting her at any moment I probably would have screamed. LOL

Then 3-4 days later when Pamela was here for dinner she wanted to see the bird eggs in person and when she looked in and snapped herself a picture there were 4 eggs.  She must me down now because there's still only 4 eggs. David say's Momma bird is out there every morning but I haven't seen her yet.     Then today while David was out spraying for weeds that had sprouted up in the driveway he just about stepped on 4 greyish speckled eggs. More eggs. Of course he had to to get a squeal out of me by telling me they were snake eggs. I wouldn't know the difference at least not yet. After he got the reaction he was expecting he told Pamela and I it was Ibis bird eggs.  The eggs blend into the gravel. I told David we need to put something out around it so no one will run over them.  When he took me out to see them the Momma bird went spastic. She pretended to be injured and started squaking to pull us away from the eggs.  Check out my so so video.
Today the baby mockingbirds are hatching. Everytime David spoke they'd open their little beaks. Momma hasn't attacked us yet while checking out her babies.
 
The roses David bought and planted outside my East sewing room window continue to bloom and are beginning to show new growth. It's gonna look beautiful when they're fully grown.

When up last Friday Pamela caught another sunset. Truly beautiful. She caught all the colors at their finest.
 David picked our first zucchini and squash and then barely a week later we had more and bigger ones to pick. The largest squash was like 3 pounds. Gonna grill that baby.
Out at our front gate the Cactus are blooming like crazy. Big yellow blooms in the mornings and just after lunch they go away.  


Had to share this beauty too. This one is at Pamela's. Love this pink hibiscus. It's big and bright. It greets you as you head towards her front door. 








My Cardiac Rehab resumed last week. I drive in 2 days a week. The drive yesterday was very wet. Not complaining at all. We need the rain but no fun to drive in especially when the lady in front of me decided to drive 40 mph and then stopped at the Brazos river bridge. Crazy woman you can't just stop. It wasn't that bad like it had been. But you don't just stop! When she got across the bridge she started to pull into the rest area but stopped again.  I was expecting to see an aging old lady but the gal might have been in her forties. Had it been like this video I took coming toward Hearne I might have understood but it wasn't.

Back to some sewing and laundry. Stay Safe and Healthy.

Until next blog post.... No one is listening until you fart. ~Author Unknown






1 comment:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Carla. You must be planning to populate the whole bird population for the world at your ranch. I would go nuts if that many birds were around me. It would be a good thing to be sheltering in the house for me. Of course, that probably wouldn't matter, if my luck would hold out, there would be one that got in my house anyway!! Your roses are so pretty and your flowers and trees are really growing up around you. That must be such a welcome sight everytime you come home..Take care and stay well..xxoJudy