Wednesday, April 11, 2018

A Quilting I went

So for my first night at retreat @ Hilltop House by Margie I cut out, laid out, and started piecing a quilt for Baby Wharton that was due in the next week or so. But we all now how these babies make their own arrival dates. LOL Unfortunately I can't share the pictures of my progress because I just got it back from the quilter and don't want to share it before Baby Jeremiah Wharton gets to see it. I'm working on the binding now so eventually I can share a picture.
That first night at retreat everyone got right to work.
Next morning Sandy went out to say "Hi" to Ruler and the gang.  Now you can't pet one without the others coming to check out what's happening. They're hoping for food but Sandy and the rest of us have been banned from feeding the gang. Retreaters were feeding them snacks so often when Margie and Jim first got the ponies and they got fat. Oops! 

Then Donna Lynn decided to go into the coral to hang and photo a barn quilt she had completed. Sandy went in to help her find the perfect spot but they had help.  Rosie wanted to see what they were hanging in her home.
Rosie stayed right with Donna Lynn the whole time.  At one point Rosie even started nibbling on Donna Lynn's ankles and feet. She kept tickling Donna but Donna got a great shot of her Barn Quilt and Rosie
I have a great bunch of Quilty friends. Sandy, Donna Lynn and Donna Marie gave everyone a goodie bag. Too sweet.  Here's a picture of all the goodies in my bags.  Pin cushion, a card, candy, a sewing machine pin and a fat quarter. Can't thank these gals enough.

One day maybe I'll be good and make each of my retreater's a goodie bag. I normally bring several game prizes but this time I only had one since I wasn't as prepared for this retreat since it was an impromptu retreat. My sweet friend Donna Lynn provided 2 Lavender bags full of sweet goodies for me to use as game prizes. A big Thank goes to her.



My friend Denise couldn't stay past dinner the 2nd evening due to work. She had planned to stay till Tuesday evening. Instead She had to leave that Monday after dinner so that she could fly out to New Jersey for a meeting the next morning at 7:30am. Such a Bummer! 

So I decided we would play a game called Left Right Center. 

Normally we each bring 3 fat quarters to play with but that would only give the winner 18 fat quarters. So this time I had everyone bring 5 fat quarters so the winner who happen to be Donna Marie would have plenty of 1930 fat quarters to make a small quilt. Can't wait to see what she makes.
This game can be a little crazy sometimes. Poor Donna Lynn rolled the dice and all three dice showed Center. She had to throw 3 of her 5 fat quarters in pot.  Then when it was her turn again and she rolled 2 Centers again and she had to throw her last 2 fat quarters in the pot. Of course that doesn't mean she's out of the game but the dice cleaned her out in 2 rolls. A few rolls away she got passed some fat quarters and got to play for awhile but then Donna Marie ended up with the last couple of fat quarters making her the winner of the pot of fat quarters. 
 



After dinner before Denise could leave Margie took a picture of the group.  Now the shortest one in the group hid in the back. Sandy you are such a brat. I'll get you the next time and put you on the front row. I surround myself with lots of talented women.

Donna Lynn dumped a box of scraps looking for the perfect piece to go in a quilt she was working on.



Here's a quilt block that Sandy was working on.
She started putting the blocks on the design wall to find the perfect layout. 



Then Donna Marie was about to finish all her quilt blocks to create a quilt pattern called Love Notes. I love this pattern and may have to make a quilt like it. 
She had fun laying it out and trying to avoid similar colors together and making sure the envelopes are all going in the right directions.  

Do you see the envelopes?




I love the decor at the Retreat. Margie does a great job. Gonna have to have her come help me decorate my sewing room at the farm when it's built.
 That night I poured a glass of wine from Perrine Winery called Red Zombie. I promise no fabric was harmed while drinking this wine.
I worked on the backing for my quilt I finished last night so I could hand it off to my quilter Donna @ Donna's Lavender Nest. 

Every time we went outside to sit or take pictures the cows were always interested in what we were doing. I snapped this picture and then as I took 3 steps forward they would all take 3 steps back. Then I took 3 steps back and they took 3 forward. They were so funny and sort of entertaining.

 I ended my 2nd night by starting another quilt and had another glass of wine. This wine glass I got from friend Kathy for my birthday. Do you think she was trying to tell me something?  LOL 


My daughter sent me a picture of my grand- dog after her grooming.  This groomer takes pictures of each dog she grooms. March's theme was St Paddy's Day. So Sophie was a leprechaun.  She makes a cute furry leprechaun.

I'll save the last couple of days of retreat for my next blog post....

Until then.... Behind every sewer is a huge pile of scraps..









1 comment:

donna said...

Retreat is always sew much fun. Y'all are such great friends.
Hugs
donna