Saturday, April 21, 2018

Big Event

This was Pamela's house the day she signed the papers in 2015 but now the landscaping has evolved. She loves her house and is slowing learning the care of her landscape and design from her Dad. Under that window was a small 2' wide bed with a line of plants.
In 2017 that changed. Texas A&M puts on this annual deal called the 'Big Event'. It's a really cool way for students to get volunteer hours and give back to the community to say Thank you. Pamela participated in the The Big Event a couple of times while she was in college.
The Big Event started in 1982. As a resident you can put in a request to get help for like yard work, house, etc. All they ask is you supply the workers with drinks like water and maybe lunch. I'm not sure how the selection process works. Maybe first come first service but Pamela has been lucky as a homeowner for the last 2 years. In 2017 they cut out her front flower bed to make it bigger and hauled mulch to her all her flower beds and around the trees.  
This year Pamela asked for them to come out to work on her flower beds again, put landscape rings around her trees, pull weeds, plant some plants and haul mulch again. She got the call that they would be sending out 8 girls. mmmm Girls are tough but can they plant the plants properly and do all the other stuff so with that question in the air David decided he'd plant the 8-10 new rose bushes and let the girls work on pulling weeds, putting in the tree rings in and hauling mulch.  

David had told the girls to put the rings around the trees and dig the grass out but didn't expect them to dig about a foot down. Like I said these girls were good.
They busted their butts. I think these girls could have planted those bushes with no problem. 
Pamela got chick-fil-A nugget platter and chips for lunch. The girls worked another 45 minutes or so and they were done. Great job girls.

Lilley loves hanging out in Pamela's back flower bed and with new mulch it's nice and cool. 








Front flower bed is looking good.



 Pamela can go later and fill in
 with small plants between the roses.




When I was heading back to Cypress the next day I decided to stop with Lilley and take a couple of pictures of her in the bluebonnets.  
She was having none of it.
So This was how her photo session went. She ignored me, closed her eyes and turned her head no matter where I held the camera.
I mean she's still cute but really.

So that didn't go well the little brat but I still love her and I had to laugh. 

Have you ever seen wild strawberries? I hadn't. Pamela and I drove to Mom and Joe's on the 30th of March to celebrate his birthday and while standing in the yard talking I looked down and saw these little guys all over the place. I didn't try them but it was neat seeing them all over their yard..

or how about a drooping Pine tree. Very interesting. 
Once inside Pamela played with the Snapchat app and taking pictures with her Mimi.
Her Mimi thought that was pretty funny.

I took a picture of us and the Birthday boy. Just a youngin.

After we left them to head back up to Bryan, Pamela and I made a stop at one of our favorite wineries called Peach Creek to take pictures. Well okay we couldn't stop to just take pictures we had to get a glass of wine too. The sun was blinding so the sunglasses had to stayed
 on.
Well I'm caught up to April on all our fun recently. Now for our annual Mother-Daughter trip to the Hill Country but I'll save that for my next post.

Until my next blog post .....“Every day can be an adventure.”



1 comment:

Linda said...

You and Pam certainly have fun together! It does my heart good to see a mother and daughter that not only love each other - but y'all obviously LIKE one another, too!!!