Monday, April 16, 2018

Retreats are sew much fun!

Have you ever been on a quilt retreat? If not you should go to one. I think some people aren't sure what to expect so they automatically say 'no' when asked or when they see retreats posted. At my retreats you can expect fun, laughter, productivity, maybe a little wine, opinions, and help if needed.  For my group it's a time to work on those Unfinished projects or start new ones and relax. Of course if there are questions about colors, fabric or layout we get plenty of input from everyone present. I know some retreats are set up to work on a specific project or is a class with a known quilter but mine is about friends with a love of quilting that love to get together and sew.  Every now and then we have someone join us that doesn't quilt but comes for the social aspect of it and they work on some other type of project like knitting or maybe even scrap booking. But best of all it's full of laughter.

On Wednesday 3/14 we took a field trip into Giddings to check out another retreat venue, have lunch, and of course wander through the local quilt shop called All Around the Block in Giddings. I don't believe they have a website but if you click on their name it'll take you to their Facebook page. We've decided to branch out and check out a difference retreat venue each time. We need a venue that can hold at least 10 if not 14 for our normal band of merry quilters.
While there we noticed the quilt shop had some Barn Quilts on the outside wall of the shop and recently I noticed one of the antique shops on 290 in Giddings had the same Barn Quilt signs. Anyway we asked the shop owner where they got them and found out they bought them at Tractor Supply.  
So 5 quilters took a field trip to Tractor Supply.
 While there I started texting David pictures of things for the farm. These solar lamps would look great at the farm somewhere in the flower beds. Then I found these different Welcome signs. My favorite is the tractor but I like the rooster too.While in Giddings we also stopped at Reba's Deli on 290 for lunch. The pizza and sandwiches were great.
Ok I showed you Donna Marie's quilt top called Love Notes and I really like it and I think I'm going to make one too but with Kaffe Fassett fabrics and a scrappy black an white background for another baby that is coming soon.  Here's my sample blocks.
This sweet block was made by Cindy. Had to laugh. She work on this block for quite a while and never could make it work until the light bulb came on. She was sewing them together wrong. Once she figured it out it came together with no problem.
Our 4th night at retreat I started working on the binding to my Texas Flag quilt. And I worked on another glass of wine. 
I couldn't decide whether to cut some blocks for my next quilt or finish the binding. I decided on the binding. Donna Marie in the back ground was finishing up her Love Notes quilt.




Here's a few other blocks some of the girls were working on. Both these are by Sandy.
Donna Lynn was working on a pattern with Easter Bunny and floppy ears.
So Jim had posted this picture on Hilltop House Facebook page saying the ladies were asking for a wine shelf in the shower. I had to laugh and it wouldn't have surprised me if someone really had asked. So one night I decided to do a spoof on this picture and            Thanks to my friend Linda @ Linda's Life Journal she doctored up my picture with words.
So before it got dark and dinner I decided to to back my car into a parking spot near the front door so in case it was raining it would be easier to load up without getting to wet. Well I should have left well enough alone. And don't ask how i did it but I managed to back into a fence post.  The fence was still standing. My bumper hugged the post. Not the way I wanted to end our last night at retreat but I did. CRAP!!! I've had my little car like 10 years and the is the first time I've hurt my Maroon baby. Besides being upset I was embarrassed.
Here's a few more pictures of blocks being worked on and the layout process of another.
 
 Sandy was/is my over achiever
 



So ends a small but great retreat with great quilty friends. Everyone was loaded up and out the door by noon that Friday. I jumped in my poor little car and headed to Pamela's house in Bryan so I could hang with her one day and go to the farm and help David at the farm the next.

All the bluebonnets are coming out in bunches everywhere. Pamela and I hung out that Saturday and we stopped not far from her house where there was a big patch of bluebonnets to take some pictures. What better background for my Texas Flag quilt but bluebonnets.
Great ending to spring break.

Until next blog .....Many faces, many smiles/ Remember me across the miles







2 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Sounds like you gals had great fun. I like the love note quilt myself, so I tried NOT to look at it too close..giggle. So many UFOs.

Linda said...

That photo of your Lone Star Quilt in the field of bluebonnets is priceless! But nothing tops the one of you and your wine shelf in the shower!! Hahahaha!!