Saturday, April 27, 2019

We saved some wine, It was trapped in a bottle(s)

Okay so it's Saturday (4/13) and today we won't just be saving wine. On Saturday's when Fredericksburg is full of tours and people we stay on the Kerrville side of I-10 to miss most of the crowds well usually.
We woke up and moved slowly waiting for the rain to clear out and then headed to one of my favorite places in Kerrville.... Creations the quilt shop.  Pamela allows me this interruption of wine fun because she tends to benefit sometimes. Like her whole guest room. LOL
There is sew much eye candy and soft furry fabrics to touch and fun stuff/quilts to make. There's just not enough time for all the quilts I see to make.
This is a pattern I wouldn't mind trying one day. Right now I need to get busy on the ones I have started and the ones I need to start and finish.
But instead I was satisfied with buying a couple of bluebonnet fabrics to incorporate into a quilt my one of my quest rooms that I call the Texas Room. I hope to start that quilt in maybe June the latest.
I also found a quilt panel with a red truck. Pamela actually found it and said I should get it for the Texas Room. It didn't take much coasting.  I have some ideas on how I'll finish it off but I'll have audition the ideas with Pamela's help.
After our shopping trip we went to lunch at Cafe on the Ridge. A place David and I found by accident when looking for land a couple of years back.  Great food and after you eat you can go wander the grounds and plant nursery but like last year the weather had turned off cloudy and chilly but this time we were prepared and brought our jackets.  But didn't care to wander around in the cold, the wind, or the sprinkles.

So we drove back down the road to Kerrville and made out next stop at The James Avery Family own Shop/Head Quarters.  It's dangerous in there. Too many pretty charms, rings, etc. Pamela has her eye on this little ring.

I have the smaller version of it that I wear on my pinkie sometimes.
Everyone in the shop is very friendly and helpful. Of course they're helpful they want you to buy something.

I walked out with nothing. Whew! It was tough. Maybe next year.



After spending some time here we headed to our next location. We could hear the wine calling from Comfort, TX about a 30 minute drive away.
We stopped at Bending Branch another winery with great views and the wine ain't bad either. This is David's favorite winery. We did have a glass on the patio and listened to music. They had blankets ready for anyone who wanted one. That wind was a little nippy sitting outside. I accepted the blanket quickly when offered. Wine wasn't warming me up enough. LOL Pamela discarded her jacket, I didn't
for the picture on there deck patio. As you can tell by out hair the wind was blowing.
 After we left Bending Branch we headed for Singing Waters. Only when we getting close we saw bunches of cars. More cars than we'd ever seen there. They were having an event so we decided to pass this year but that's okay because we decided to drive to a new winery that finally opened up it's tasting room.
 The sommelier from Bending Branch that we really liked went to 1851 Vineyards to help plant vines and start it up so we were hoping to catch up with her this year... Well darn she had moved on to another vineyard. Oh well we took time to taste the wine and I actually found some I liked. I didn't think I would because they tend to be on the more dry side that my taste buds just haven't acquired yet.

Hopefully I can get David by there when we go in June.

Speaking of David. He's at home with no electricity and 3 dogs and nasty weather. This tornado was just miles down the road. Someone by last name of Hodges took this picture in Mumford, Texas and not much further away another tornado devastated the small town of Franklin. That's where our builders dad lived. Come to find out the whole family was there working when the tornado came through.
They were very lucky and didn't suffer any injuries and the house was spared. Unlike some areas. That's a lot going on while we were gone.  David lost power he said early morning Saturday and didn't come back until Sunday at 2am.

All very scary and sad.




After getting all the news updates from David and Pamela started getting news from friends who live in the area of Franklin we headed to The Hill Country Distillery in Comfort. It was pretty crowded but we found a parking place. They had food trucks and music outside but it was too chilly for my blood so we went inside and was greeted by James the owner who was doing tastings for the newbies.  We already knew what we wanted. My first drink of choice was a bloody shiner aka bloody Mary but made with Jalapeno moonshine and Pamela got a Signature Mule with a kick. The girls behind bar were celebrating their birthday's. They were sisters. They even shared a birthday shot with us. They remembered us from last year and before. Had a really good time there. We decided to have another drink where I got the Bushwhacker which is like a Mudslide but better and Pamela got a Key Lime Pie. It tasted like Key Lime Pie too.  While there this guy came up to the bar and was giving the girls a bad time and teasing with them. We started laughing because he was feeling no pain and cracking some funny comments.

Come to find out he was a doctor in a hospital in Fredericksburg and San Antonio. He kept us entertained each time he came inside to order drinks.  Pamela had me strike a pose like she did last year with my last drink of the evening.

It was getting time to get some food and I sure didn't want to get drunk on these roads. Wait I was driving down I-10 back to Kerrville. NO NO I don't want to drive drunk on any roads. When we got
 back to Kerrville the idea was to go to this Pizza place called the Pint and Plow but all the sitting was outside and that didn't sound like fun so we stopped at this place called Sera Bella Italian Food. It wasn't bad.

Our trip was almost over.
When we get up Sunday we take off down the twisty winding Hwy 16. Motorcycles love this road.
We were head to the Apple store in Medina. But before we get there we found the perfect spot to stop and take some pictures by a section of the Medina River. 

Found this little guy resting and getting drink of pretty water.The water was running swiftly and the sound was soothing.  Someone even had a tire swing hung over the water on the other side of the bridge but the water didn't look deep enough but it could be deceiving.




After our picture taking we headed on down to the Apple Store where we bought apple turnovers to bring home and share with David. They're really tasty. Plenty of cinnamon and apples. Then we drive back down Hwy 16 all the way back to Fredericksburg.

We do stop for one more selfie.  It doesn't do the view any justice because you could see forever. The weather today was great unlike yesterday that was cloudy and chilly.
We didn't take time for breakfast so by the time we got into Fredericksburg it was lunch time and surprise there was front row parking at the Sunrise Cafe. The parking lot is so small but they still have a crowd.  They added a cover over the outside area this year. David and I sat out there last year and the tree didn't provide any protection from the sun so this cover should make a big difference.
We normally stop at the Wildseed Farm for some pictures in the Poppies and bluebonnets we decided to forgo because Pamela needed to stop by Fat Ass Winery to pick up another T Shirt for another nurse friend. She needs to charge them a personal shopper fee. LOL

Our last stop before getting home was at one of her former nurse co-workers. Her husbands job moved them from College Station to Llano and Pamela had a birthday present for her. Bet you can guess on of the items in the bag. Yep it was wine. LOL
From there we had a 48 minute drive to a town about 15 miles from the Rock'n K. I texted David and told him what time we'd be in Rockdale if he wanted to meet at Julio's for supper.
He thought that sounded like a deal.
After dinner we headed to the Rock'n K where Pamela moved her stuff from my car to her's and grabbed her 2 pups Sophie and Brianna and headed another 30 minutes down the road to her house.
I unloaded my stuff and went inside to prep food for David to take with him when he left for work on Monday morning for the week.
Then I sat down on the couch and visited with him for a while.

Another great Mother-Daughter trip is done. Now it's back my life at the Rock'n K a some contract work I've signed up for.

Until next blog....








1 comment:

Saimi said...

What a wonderful trip and a trip is always better with a quilt shop involved. How scary with that crazy tornado, glad everyone was ok, man I can't even imagine! you and your daughter are very lovely ladies, I think its great that you find time to do things together.
Great memories in the making!!
Have a wonderful week!!
Saimi