Thursday, October 29, 2015

Closing down October with Music, girls weekend and quilting.

A week ago Wednesday David and I went to Puffabelly's to see Mike Blakely and Davin James. Like Main Street Crossing it's more of a listening venue. You can eat and drink but there's no dance floor. So Wednesday there was a small crowd of 19. Sixteen out of the 19 people came to listen . I'm all for having a good time but don't laugh and talk over the singers. It's just rude. Mike Blakely decided he saw a trend so when they requested a certain he said nope that's a listening song. 
Right after the break Davin got on stage and goes "I'm trying to think of a loud song. Davin really gets into his song Sweet Tooth here. 
Okay don't criticize my video. I messed up'll get the jest of it. LOL    Our 3 rowdy folks didn't take the hint this time either.
And the funny part of it was the one guy was a huge fan and was requesting lots of songs but I don't know he could hear any over all the their talking and loud laughter.

This Friday I headed up to Bryan to have a girls weekend with Pamela. I think David was ready to get rid of me. He quickly said yes when I asked if he minded if I went up. And of course to make it complete I took Lilley. Girls weekend right? Mom and Daughter both furless and furry. LOL 
Pamela was pooped so we didn't play too hard last Friday night. She didn't get home until almost 8pm. We visited, ate a bite, came home visited till about 10:15. She was ready for bed and actually so was I so she didn't have to convince me.
The girls played really hard. And if you play hard you sleep hard. 

Sophie cuddled up with her stuffed puppy

Lilley on that quilt I made for Pam's guest room

At 6:15am last Saturday this is what I saw. Plus She was pawing at my arm telling me to wake up it's time to potty and eat. Lilley's alarm clock goes off early every day. She doesn't understand weekends yet.  We got up and opened Pamela's door to get Sophie. Neither one was impressed with going outside in the rain.  Grrrrr. I tell them let's get this over with and get back inside. Finally business done and then I fed the girls and then they were ready to play hard again. I was able to sneak in a couple more minutes of sleep while they played.
Pamela and I started our fun on Saturday in the rain which is so much fun. Not so much.
 I spent most of the weekend looking like a drenched rat. An umbrella was more of a pain than help plus the wind was blowing the rain underneath.  
For lunch Pamela took me to Madden's in downtown Bryan. Mmmmm The restaurant is inside an old warehouse with all kinds of shabby chic and antiques.
The food is awesome. I had been thinking about the Southern Fried Mushroom, asparagus, mashed potatoes and yummy sauce ever since Pamela mentioned going. Maybe next time I'll try something else but I don't know. Everything is seasoned to perfection. 
Pamela tried something different unlike me. She got what they called a grilled cheese but I forgot what kind of cheese they used plus served with tomato soup and fruit. The sandwich had avocado too I think. The portions are just right.  After lunch we ran various errands and then we headed to Painting with a Twist. If you've never been you ought to go to one.  You can bring a bottle of wine or two if you're brave. Pamela brought us only one bottle to share. There was two choices of what we could paint. Pamela let me pick. I chose a cow. LOL
When we sat down the PWAT folks had already drawn the cow on our canvas. Oh boy what I'm I doing. I can't paint. Pamela's the artsy one. I was really nervous and I don't know why it was just for fun.  After the first glass of wine I calmed down.
One of the teachers came by and snapped our picture as we painted.   After we were finished with our paintings PWAT took a group picture. This was a rather large class and every single cow looked different in some way. 

David said it was a scary cow .  It's  cows on LSD. LOL  It was fun and I'm ready to do it again. Maybe this is what I'll do for my birthday next year. 
While Pamela and I was  painting David was hiding in the barn at the Rockin K Farm. It was raining so hard he didn't get to unload the truck for a while.  Couldn't really complain because we needed the rain.
When he finally got over to the Tiny Mansion he found bad news. .... Like 4-5 leaks. Grrr. At least we found them before we put flooring and furniture in but it's still a bummer. Creates more work for David. 
The trees and grass needed the rain and were so happy and now you can see a section of the water in the pond.I 'm sure the catfish really appreciated the rain. Their tummy's were probably  scraping the bottom of the pond. 
 Sunday was a day of more
errands and a manicure.  There was suppose to be a pedicure too but they messed up the appointment.  Dang! 
You know who Ree Drummond is right? The Pioneer woman who cooks up a storm on her ranch in Oklahoma. Well she has new like of pots, pans and dishes.  Well her serving platter pattern matches pretty closely to my dishes that bought from Pier One. So happy now I have more platters.  Also grabbed three ramekins to use for salsa or whatever I chose. 
This month when I went to Quilt Guild I could actually do show n tell. What few I have finish this year couldn't wait to get to their intended recipient but I got these finished at the right time.  This is the one I mailed off right after the guild meeting to   baby Wren in Cody Wyoming but I forgot to take a picture of the actual quilting. Hope it keeps Wren warm up there and wrapped in hugs. Got a card from Momma Lauren today and they loved it.
This quilt was made by my Grandmother Lorea McLallen with her neighbor Mrytle Morris between 1949-52.
All I started with was the Sunbonnet Sue top and wasn't sure how to finish the sashes because some were left kinda just hanging so I gave the top to my quilter/friend Donna @ Donna's Lavender Nest and said "help"  She completed the sashing, added a border that complimented the backing and sent it back to me quilted and with the binding attached so all I needed to do was hand finish the binding. 
This one is staying in my possession. Here's an up close view of the quilting.
 My mom teared up when she saw the quilt.  She remembered some of the dresses and bonnets being made from fabric that my grandmother, her mother used to make aprons and dresses. 
Now while my gas card is happy and it's nice paying such a low price for gas but it could eventually hurt my pocket book. The husband works in the oil and gas industry and they don't have any jobs in house because of these falling prices. I sure hope something turns around.

When it's all said and done it was time to head home in the rain and the wind.  This week has been spent cutting quilts out.

Now it's time to head to bed. I must get my rest so I'll be ready to tackle the Houston International Quilt Festival tomorrow. Can't wait. Night night.............
Until next blog...          
"Draw your chair up...
and I'll tell you
 a story..."  ~
 F. Scott Fitzgerald

1 comment:

Linda said...

Loved catching up with you! So.....are you retired now??? And when did THAT happen??