Monday, October 21, 2024

And the Race is On Then again.... with some quilting too

 So it's almost time for a quilt retreat which using means cramming in normal activities and packing.

Saturday(10/5) David had a motorcycle race at Little River Academy he wanted to attend so off he went. He texted me later in the afternoon telling me he managed to hurt his bicep trying to keep the bike upright while warming up the bike. 

I'll tell you now that by the time he got home Sunday his bicep area was all kinds of pretty colors. He did a good job on it.  He decided that day he wouldn't race but was staying the nice and hoped to feel better for the next day of racing. He was sitting in the pits and looked over and saw the trailer tire! NOT GOOD...


So yeah that could have been a disaster coming home after the race which would be in the late evening.  If you can't see it the tread is splitting big time.

I just went and checked my previous blog post and saw the darn video's didn't post. But this time it processed. Here's the desk with a tail. 

The crazy cow one still won't post. oh well I'll try again later.

So while David was at the races I drove to Houston to visit my friend Barbara and gave her the quilt I made for her. She became our realtor back in like 1993 when we decided to sell our home in Woodlands Oaks subdivision that now no longer exists after the area flooded and most of the homes were bought out by FEMA and bulldozed down. During that time she became a friend. So that's the theme I picked for her quilt. Realtor equals houses, right?. Trust me every time she took us to look at houses she had to work. We needed options plus she had please us both. LOL   

I put a big house on the back of the quilt with pictures of a couple of her dogs, a picture of her with her dad and siblings and the door was a picture of her and her son Matt from just a few years ago.  lol Matt was probably probably around 10 and is now 40 something. Just a few years ago. LOL First off she was surprised to see me and was really surprised when I gave her the quilt. I'm glad she liked it. She told me she always wanted to ask me to make one for her but didn't. Well now she doesn't have to.
After spending a couple hours with Barbara I headed to a reunion of former Watkins MS staff to honor Tommy, who was a teacher and who is now fighting cancer. It's going to be an annual reunion after this They say. We pray Tommy will still be with us next year. Today we celebrated with him and caught up with old friends.
Such a great group of co-workers. We worked hard but found time for fun and maybe a few pranks.
This is a picture of Gloria(AP) and the Principal Diana. They were great to work for.
And another AP I worked for was Patty and behind us is Coach Roome. 
 
That's Tommy in the green shirt below. His life partner Andrew and that's Lisa in the middle. She recently won a nice poker jack pot. She was a cool cucumber during the game. I think it was Texas Hold'em.   The next picture of me and my backup in the AP (assistant principal office) Brenda. She came to my rescue many times. For breaks and just plan help.






It was a nice getting to see everyone but I needed to head home. Until next year...
Monday (10/6) I went to quilting bee and only managed to take two pictures. I was busy working on a project and so was everyone else.
Debra was finishing up a quilt for her sister in law. It came out really great! Can't wait to see what she will work on next. And Sondra finished her cute quilt.

Wednesday (10/9) came and it was time for Quilt Retreat but first I had something important to take care of. I had to drive to Bryan to take Pamela her wedding gown for her first fitting.  She had the biggest smile as they were taking it in. Wish I could share but can't reveal the dress until after wedding in January. 
We finished up, had a quick lunch at the Taco place around the corner, took her home and I was off to quilt retreat in Taylor for 5 days and 4 nights. 
Since I couldn't get there at check in I put my friend Donna Marie in charge. She met the retreat owner Lorena and directed the ladies to their rooms and helped them unload and even set up. Two of our friends couldn't make it because one of them, Donna Lynn's husband was in N. Carolina as lineman mechanic and the other one, Kim was at her mercy since Donna Lynn was her ride. Donna Lynn didn't have a place for her 3 dogs to stay. And no she couldn't bring them to retreat. She's always teasing me and asking to bring them with her. 
The girls missed a nice retreat at Jester's Wild. 



The accommodations were great and so was the food. The owner Lorena was super nice and accommodating. She actually had a station set up in the room with us to sew.. This was a first for us. Generally they come check on us but don't sew with us. At first it was a little different but she was just fine and was sew sew very helpful when anyone needed help with a project.

Donna Marie finished a quilt while there. She even pieced the back.  The front of the quilt and colors were sew pretty. The pattern on front I believe is called Annie's Arrowhead using layer cakes.
Donna Marie got creative when showing off her quilt by twirling with it.
Pat was working on a 9 patch quilt of fabric that had a food theme. It was really cute.



And Pat made some pillow cases and a bag. Very productive!

I think I better do a part 2 or you'll be on retreat overload.
 This group made the retreat a success with all the laughs and creativity..  
I'll get part 2 posted as fast as I can.

Until then...“Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you; spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.”

No comments: