Thursday, August 22, 2019

A Hodge Podge...Fun, Quilting, Antiques and food.

So for my Mom's birthday Pamela and I drove to Montgomery, TX picked her up and took her to Lunch at the Whistle Stop Cafe in Tomball and then we treated her to a spa day.  Look at long her hair has grown in the month or so. She's doing something right. It seems to have gotten thicker and definitely longer.   After Lunch we took her to get her hair cut at Trendsetters Salon by Brittney Bunch.  Mom loved the way she cut in June. It has been a few days. This time she asked about cutting it a little shorter and we did.   Mom loved the new cut.  
  After a hair cut we took her to get a Mani and a spa pedi. For years we had tried to get her to join us when we went but she always said no. This time she was in agreeance.  She can't see well enough to do her own so she needed it. While she was sitting in the chair and the little gal massaged her legs and feet she's going I've never had any one ever do this. It feels good and about that time the little gal dug her thumbs into Mom's. Not so hard! Please!  If you've ever had a spa pedi you probably know the feeling. I sure do. They get those thumbs to do a deep tissue massage.  Nope Nope not my thing either.  So when it was all done we asked Mom if next time she'd turn us down to join us... Her answer was very definite...."Hell NO" This was nice"  Success.

I'm planning my Fall retreat and picked the Fat Quarter theme for everyone going. We play games for small and sometimes silly door prizes.  This years theme is Black, Yellow and White. Any combination of the colors and any pattern.





One of my regular retreaters suggested we do something different and fun.  So I emailed those going if they would be interested in making a decorated witches hat. Everyone said they were in. We'll vote for the best hat and someone will get a prize. The clincher is you have to wear to lunch when meet up before going to retreat house.  Kountz, TX may never know what hit them. LOL. This is an example of Lori Holt's or at least from her pinterest.  This should be fun and interesting.

Maybe I'll get my artistic daughter to help me.
How about going to Hogwarts with Harry Potty?  LOL. Top Paw Pet Spa thing in July was Harry Potty.  After she grooms the dogs she has a photo corner set up with a different theme each month. She does a great job with the girls, reasonably priced and ends it with a photo. Thanks Misty.   Bri is sitting so pretty and looking very studious.  Lilley looks like she's ready to take off to play game of Quid ditch.
 Sophie looks cute and ready to fly.






I'm always showing off the great nephew and niece babies so I thought I'd share the picture my nephew posted of his oldest for first day of 3rd grade.  (You were right Barb, he's in 3rd)
This is Carson. Geez he's grown. I don't remember him being this big in May when were visiting Missouri.
 He looks like his Dad, Zachariah.
Zachariah and Bailey Jo have raised him to be very polite and well behaved.  Okay he is a boy and he will have his moments but he was awesome when we were visiting at dinner. He's pretty cute too.



We live on a loop. This is the East end of our County Road. When it's graded like it is now I really like to go down it to get to our house on the West end.  I like the way the trees arch over the road. And there's always a few Cardinals that fly across the road in front of me. They're so pretty. Now it can be a little tight on the East end if you meet another vehicle.
But everyone is very polite and moves over and shares the road or finds a wide spot to pull over to get out of the way.
I found two quilt patterns I want to make when I'm done with the 5 on my list already.  The background on this first quilt is newsprint or printed words of some kind. I found some fabric today in the sale bin that looked like the small receipt pads that the old hamburger stands use(d).
 It uses scraps of fabric from other projects. I might have a few of those laying around in a tub. Some I've given away but I still have some for myself.

This quilt will be easy to find fabric scraps. It's made with Kaffe Fassett fabric line and I have lots of it. All the colors and designs in Kaffe Fassett work well together. I made my daughter's guest room bedding, pillow cases, shams and dust ruffle out this line of fabric. I just pick up a new piece every so often to add to the collection and use the leftovers with some new to make more quilts.. 
 So this weekend my sister Barb was in San Antonio working. She was in the Air Force Reserves and now works on setting up what was called the Yellow Ribbon Program. The program helps returning soldiers find the resources they need to re-enter civilian life like insurance, medical care, etc. Anyway she mentioned to us in May when she would be down to Texas so Pamela and I decided we'd drive to San Antonio to see her. It took us about 2 hr and 50 minutes but it wasn't a bad drive at all. So Pamela drives to the Rock'n K. She walks into my room as I'm walking out and goes... "What! You can't wear pink!"  LOL She's wearing pink too. We had not planned our wardrobe.
When we arrive in San Antonio we head straight to the hotel because Barb had thought she'd be off by 2. Well that didn't happen. We walked in the lobby and gave her a call to find out that she would be another hour or so before she could hang out.
The lobby was loud and full of people so we needed think of something to do until Barb was free.  So we do what we like to do and Pamela found us a Wine Room about 10 minutes down the road.  The folks behind the counter and their patrons were very friendly and funny.  We had fun there and while tasting some wine at the Stray Grape.
They have some nice wines.
Barb finally texted saying she was free. So we paid our bill and headed back to the hotel to pick her up.
 So as we're driving down the street to the Hotel I could see Barb. She was wearing a bright Pink T-Shirt. She had taken off the hot pink cowboy boots that she had been wearing for the program. They try to make it fun and informational obviously. She looks great in pink but it's not a color she tends to wear.
So without knowing it we all three were dressed in some form or fashion of Pink. We were Pretty in Pink. LOL
We thought we'd try to find a distillery but that was a big fail.  Lol We ended up in parking lot with a fitness gym. and some other shops. MMMM who knows where it was.  Our next stop landed us in Helotes at the Helotes Creek Winery. Cute place with lots of outdoor sitting which might have been great if it wasn't 106 outside.  In the shade it was almost bearable. Almost.
This place was about 3 doors down from John T. Flores General Store that used to cater to travellers between San Antonio and Bandera but for the 60 years plus it hosts live music, BBQ and a bar.  And has a huge dance floor. Willie Nelson plays there with 3000 plus fans. I can't image what it looks like with that many people at this place. I just looked at their website and it's been hosting music for 75 years now.
We were all getting hungry and Barb said there was a Mexican Restaurant just down the road somewhere. She had gone with a friend who lives in Helotes. We didn't even have to drive out onto the highway. It was right there on the side road. The parking lot was packed. We figured it would be an hour wait but surprised it was only 20. The El Chaparal was good and reasonable priced. Service was good too. We had a great afternoon visiting and playing. Maybe we can do it again next year.

This is my great nephew Tate. This little guy looks just like his Mom but every now and then he makes some face and I see his Dad. He and Dad are watching TV I'm guessing. He's 5 months old. He's a little ham I do believe. Look at that face, posing for the camera. Then he's over it. He's adorable. LOL. 
 
 Today (8/20) I met up with a couple of my quilting pals in town about 50 minutes away from the Rock'n K. We met up at The Whistle Stop Antique Store. That place can be dangerous I tell you. They have so many of the the things I like and collect that I have no more room for but it's fun to look and who knows maybe find something old that I can't live without. I was able to restrain myself and only Donna and Sandy opened their wallet. From here we went a block down and across the road to another Antique store called Jackie Arnold's.
They too had lots of cool things. Well this time I couldn't pass up something. I love this picture with a crazy quilt behind the barn tin cut outs of quilt block.  Now to decide where to hang it.  When I spoke to David tonight he asked me where I was thinking of hanging and I wasn't sure but I have since thought about it and have a couple of ideas now.
One place is over my Quilt Room Door.

Our tummies were starting to growl so time to find food.





From here we went to lunch at the Giddings Downtown Restaurant. It cafeteria style. For lunch it's $7.95 for and entree and 2 sides. It's like a home cooked meal. The ladies that run provide excellent service.

It's in an old building right on the hwy 290
.After a satisfying of meal of smothered chopped steak with yams and green beans I was ready for the next stop..... the quilt shop All Around the Block.  Not that I needed anything but I love to look at all the pretty colors and patterns.  I was looking for some gingham fabric to go with this piece of fabric I already have.  Didn't spend much but I did find what I wanted.  Donna and Sandy bought lots of fabric for projects they want to start. 
Well with our pocketbooks a little lighter it was time to go our separate ways and head home.

That's it for now.
Until next blog....Behind every sewer is a huge pile of fabric.



3 comments:

Linda said...

You and Pam have so much fun together!! I just love that!

Saimi said...

Wow Carla, you've been busy girl. I love your moms hair cut and the fact she's enjoying a pedi and mani! Good for her hanging with the girls. Goes to show you're never too old to have fun! How exciting to get ready for quilting. I really love the one with the pedals on the white and grey background and those witches hats sure are cute but not as cute as your darling pups. Man they are gorgeous dogs!!
Hope you have a great rest of of the weekend!!
Saimi

Anonymous said...

As I web site possessor I believe the content material here is
rattling fantastic , appreciate it for your efforts.
You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.