Sunday, September 8, 2019

Friendship and Our celebration

Well isn't this just lovely. Had this entire blog post disappear. I had saved it and even scheduled it to post and saved it again.  Awesome! My website shut down and puff it was gone. All that was saved was the next paragraph. Well here I go starting over.
Last weekend David decided to check out renting a room in a house near work instead of staying in a hotel. He'll save money. He found a place, signed on the dotted line and left a deposit. At least or at least we hope he won't have people fighting outside his room or people banging on his door in the middle of the night wanting in.  And the best part is it's clean. He'll have 3-4 roommates. It's gonna be like going to college. LOL. It's month to month so if he doesn't like it he can always give notice and go back to staying in a hotel. He's trying to work until he turns 65 which is another year and a half. He works Monday - Thursday most weeks but it varies sometimes. Basically he leaves here at 5:30 am on a Monday or Tuesday and returns Wed-Thursday or Friday anytime from noon on.  It all depends on his work schedule.
Wednesday, August 28 we needed to take my car in for repairs. To date we have not found a place around us for car repairs so I worked a few hours that morning, grabbed Lilley dropped her off at Pamela's in case we were late. Don't want that baby girl to miss a meal.  LOL.  Besides she likes hanging with her fur babies.
I got in to Houston by lunch time so I met up with my friends Samara and Genesis for some Thai food. I haven't found a Thai place around here and besides no one else in my family cares for Thai or at least they don't think they do. After lunch I went back to the Technology building to visit some of my former co-workers. I can never see all the people I want to.  My time always runs out. I miss my friends.
Monday, September 2 David and I  celebrated 41 years of marriage. The weekend is about us and no projects.







Thursday 8/29 - David was a little disappointed that we didn't run out and explore but I needed to get some work done First. I did go have coffee on the back porch and caught this little guy flying around. He's very shy. He lands on the backside of the feeder and at the very least amount of noise of movement he's gone.












Before I went in to get to work I counted 3 hummingbirds.









He likes to hang out in our desert willow tree David planted outside my sewing room window at the end of the back porch. Too bad he didn't land closer to the the branch that's flowering.

Today we stayed home so I could work and he worked on projects outside

Thursday was also the opening Aggie Game against Texas State. Pamela and nursing friend Amanda got tickets and went to enjoy the game and discovered beer is now served on the general admission side, Not on the student side.

Final score 41-7 Whoop!. David and Pamela feel the score should have had a wider spread.

Aggies need to pick up the pace if they plan on beating Clemson or Alabama.








Friday (8/29) I semi woke to the sounds of David getting in his night stand and the door chime as he went out. But then I woke up to POP POP POP. What the hell. I get up and go out the front door and see David shooting about 16-17 wild hogs running across our front pasture. This is the 2nd time they've been on the property. First time we thought they just came in the open gate but the gate was closed last night. So David got on the 4-wheeler to ride along the fence line to find a breach and he did at the bottom of the property that backs up to the railroad track.  Dang it. Something David will add to the 'To Do List' .
Since he was out there he decided he'd take the time to move Jerry and the cows to the front pasture since they've ate down most all the grass in the back pasture. It wasn't so hard since they all thought he had something to eat so they followed him like the Pied Piper with Jerry in the lead. LOL

These critters don't want to miss a treat but the only treat they'll find is fresh grass in the front pasture. They seemed to be happy enough bouncing through the gate.

The last little straggler was the calf born in April. We now think he's a bull. We were hoping for a female. Oh well.

He was very hesitate to come through the gate even with his Mom standing a few yards away but finally bounced through.                            Well with that excitement and the moving of Jerry and the cows over we were ready to begin our adventure.  This weekend is about us an quality time.









David and I jumped in the car and headed to to explore our new area. We had no clue where we'd end up but off we went.
David decided our first stop would be at Westphalia Market in Westphalia. He wanted see where it was and to get pricing for processing a couple of cows for the freezer when we were ready for that step.
There were other people around picking up their meat and other items available to purchase. When we walked out of the store this lady was sitting on the bed of her truck and she hollered at us "So y'all raising Dexter's" That's the breed of our cows. Well that started a conversation because David had all kinds of questions for her since raising and processing our cows is something new. They exchanged phone numbers and we left after a lengthy question and answer session. She was really nice and helpful.. In fact we hadn't been on the road more than 5 minutes she was already texting David some more information. Next time we're all in Taylor we're going to meet up at the Taylor Beer Co. LOL
All that talk of processing we realized we were hungry. We found a Deli just down the road but it was packed and David was thinking more on the lines of BBQ. Imagine. Being in the country it's not like you're gonna have a huge selection of eating places period. Our next stop was in Mart so we drove on down the road with our eyes open for somewhere to eat. We arrived to our turn off in Riesel to get to Mart and found a BBQ place for David.  We parked on the side of the road and saw the cute idea of how to use wall mounted sinks.  Too cute. The sinks were mounted on the wall and used as planters.  The yellow building made them stand out.
We ate at B&M BBQ in Riesel and was very pleased. The brisket and sausage were cooked and seasoned just right along with the sides of potato salad, green beans for me (yummy) and pinto beans for David. Very yummy. Next time we're in the area we'll stop again that's for sure
On the road again. Heading towards Mart to Leon Junction Antique. Pamela and I went there last year and I thought David would like it too. He seemed too.  He likes to collect the old metal signs and he found a couple there. I went to go take a picture of them and moved them somewhere.
Oh well. At our Tomball home he displayed them a couple on the patio and others inside the garage. Not sure where he'll hang them now. They're cool old signs.  He found this sign and we both laughed. He didn't buy it though.

So now what shall we do... We drove down the road toward Groesbeck to see what we could find. I also texted our good friends that live in the country near Groesbeck to see what they were up too.

About the time we hit Groesbeck my friend Sheryl texted back saying just hanging at the house to come on by.  She had been following my facebook post and knew we were in the area. So we had Siri map us to their place. Only Siri look us on the long route to NY and back. LOL Okay maybe not NY but she took us in a BIG loop. We finally made it by.  Sheryl decided she needed to repay me for all the wine she drank at my house and gave me a glass of wine and so on. Ross and David discussed live stock and farm life.
We even went out to visit their animals. They have 2 girl donkey's smaller than Jerry and 3 very small cows called Zebu's
These gals are so cute. And the cows oh my. They're so little. The black and white one is the boy. These babies stand barely 5 foot tall.

They look about the size of a Great Dane dog. My Dexter cows look huge upside these babies. LOL
Before we knew it, it was nearly 6pm. Yikes ! We say our goodbyes and turn the right direction to get back to the main highway and much shorter than Siri's path.
As we hit the highway David asked if we want to go try Leona General Store for dinner or should we head home. I said we had time and that Lilley girl would be fine so we headed to dinner. Oh wow so delicious. Thursday's is catfish night but Friday and Saturday is either Ribeye or bone grilled chicken. We chose the steak. It came with a salad, smashed taters and the best yeast rolls. Sorry but Taste of Texas may have met their match.  It was that good. The steak was seasoned to perfection, juicy, big and thick. We got lucky since it was opening football season so they weren't as busy so we walked right in and was seated. Our waitress told us they generally serve 500-600 a night. That's a lot of steaks and chicken.
Time to head home to feed our Lilley. She's gonna give us the business when we get there.
Tomorrow is another day. Stay tuned for the rest of our celebration.

Hopefully this one will post and not go into Internet la la land and have to recreate it again.

Until next blog post...The more you invest in a marriage, the more valuable it becomes . ~ Amy Grant

3 comments:

Saimi said...

Man, do I know the frustration of the dang computer. One year I composed our annual Christmas letter that I do in a poem form at least 3 times. I got it all done and bam the computer wigged out and I lost it. Then trying to remember what I said I did it again and wouldn't you know it, the same thing happened again. I finally got it done and saved but holy cow it's enough to make one go crazy!
Happy Anniversary! You sure have a lot of going on and just for the record, those donkeys are adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I read your new stuff like every week. Your humoristic
style is witty, keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hello there I am so delighted I found your site, I
really found you by error, while I was looking on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like
to say many thanks for a incredible post and a
all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time
to browse it all at the moment but I have saved it and also added your RSS
feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
read more, Please do keep up the awesome job.