Sunday, October 10, 2021

Packed and Ready

Guess what time it is..... Quilt retreat time. I have been busy cutting fabric up for various projects so once I get there all I have to do is sew them up. I took notes from my friend Sandra Barber. Every year she'd bring all these projects and usually completes at least 4 because she already had them cut and ready to sew. So we'll see what happens in a couple weeks.  David and Lilley will have to take care of each other while I'm gone. I think I've got things organized and ready to go except pack and load up. But until then (October 11th) you'll find me in the sewing room cutting. 
I just finished cutting 72 - 5 1/2 vintage Santa squares to make a Christmas Quilt for our vintage room. Just figured out I only needed 63 but I'm glad I cut extra because a couple of them weren't centered quite right. Not sure it will be ready for this year but we'll see. 

So far I've got 6 whole log cabin blocks finished. It's semi scrappy. I wasn't going to take this one to retreat to work on but changed my mind and it's in the bag. Hopefully I have enough strips cut. I did bring some of the fabric to cut more if I need too.  I have added 1-4 strips on the other 57 blocks left so I've made some progress. 
I've got plenty of projects to work on in my bag. All cut and ready to sew.
Well I've got everything in the car except my suitcase and last minute items.
 
Our little herd went from 22 to 20 Thursday (10/7) We sold two heifers to the Harpers. It took David, Ross and I about 45 minutes to get the little brats loaded. But not without a minor hitch. It could have been so bad. Ross had the wheel barrow with the cow crack in it and the cows wouldn't back off. One got to close and swung her head around for the flies and her horn grazed Ross. Oh Lawdy. It was already starting to bruise after a couple hours. We felt so bad. But thankfully while he was banged up but not as bad as it could have been. 
We got lucky and the black heifer we called Louise went right in the chute and in the trailer but Thelma the red heifer wanted no part of the coral or chute. After Ross and David most of the chasing her around for a while we ignored her and she then decided to go in the coral, then in the chute but so did two small calves. Ross got the calves separated and between the two of us we got Thelma in the trailer. I wasn't a whole lot of help because of my bad knee but I tried to do as much as I could.  Thelma and Louise seemed to be quite at home when the boys unloaded them at their new home.
We sat around and visited for a couple hours and took some pictures. Santa was in the house. If you're needing a live human Santa I know where you can find one. He's available for hire.

Even Dixie told Santa want she wanted for Christmas.







Pamela put October 8th on my calendar as a play date.  We asked David if he'd go but he had to wash his hair. LOL  So I drove to Pamela's and we started our outing with lunch at a place called Las Americas. It's a Latin. I got a salad with chicken poblano soup. The salad was great and so was the soup. Pamela got their tacos that she said were really tasty. I'm bad I can't make you drool because I didn't take a picture but trust me it was good. If you are in Brenham you need to try the place out.
After getting out tummies full we headed to The Busted Oak Cellars. I had seen this place last year when I went my friends house just down the road and told Pamela we needed to check it out but she beat me there a few weeks earlier with friends. I guess I'll forgive her. LOL.
The people are really nice and the wine is darn tasty....
We were having fun. We kept making faces and finally once we made a face at the same time. Yes we're goofy.
Then we can sweet. LOL 

On the way to the winery I had called my friend who lived down the road if she could come down and join us for a drink.

 At first she said no because she was helping a friend but before we were ready to leave she called and said she was on her way. I've known Jan for 24+ years. She is the one who started the book club I belong to. Was so glad she could join us for a drink.  It was great seeing and talking with her.  
After a while it was time to head to our next destination.. in Navasota. We were headed to the Wildflyer Meadery We each got a flight tasting. I came home with 2 bottles. One bottle was Julius which tastes like a dream-cicle. Yum and the other was a Blueberry lime. Both are very tasty. One is going to retreat with me.
Saturday 10/9 was the Aggie - Alabama game. I was really worried about the score for this game. Alabama is a great team but the Aggies came out with both guns and scored twice in the first quarter. What!? That's crazy. By the 3rd quarter Alabama was catching us.  In the last seconds the score was 38-38 and the Aggies kicked a field goal and won the game. Everyone went wild. It was an awesome game. Both teams played hard but our boys in Maroon won. WHOOP!

I'm off to bed. I have to get up early to leave for retreat. Yippee.

Until next blog...."To all, to each, a fair good night, And pleasing dreams; and slumbers light."  ~Sir Walter Scott

2 comments:

Handywoman said...

Have fun at the retreat. Post pictures please :)
Janet

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

glad your team won