Friday, May 1, 2020

Who am I? Where am I? Hell what day is it?

Who am I? Where am I? LOL this will date me but that makes me think of a I LOVE LUCY episode where she pretended to have amnesia. But in this time and day of sheltering in place you can almost start to feel that way. Plus, now that I'm retired I sometimes lose track of the days slightly but I would know it was Thursday when David came home from Houston and it was Monday when he had to go back to work in Houston. Then he stayed home with me after my heart stent because all my anxieties and I'm really glad he did and could. Then when I felt comfortable he decided to go back but instead of driving in to work he drove in to up his computer equipment off his work desk so he could work from home. Need to find a new way to keep up with what day it is. I know the easiest way would be to look at a calendar and cross off the days. That's what I always told my Mom when she started losing track of what day it was.  Dang though what if you forget to cross off the day. LOL Oh the trials and tribulations. I guess I'll know it's Sunday if Pamela shows up for  dinner. Our new family tradition now. 
Finally had to cut my nails. I know there are others out there doing the same. All the shellac polish had peeled. My toes still have some polish on them. My finger nails were so long I was having a hard time typing. Yikes. And my hair ! And my hair, well it's some shaping up and a trim. The color is fading and growing out.  mmmm Maybe it's time to stop coloring it. I've been trying to go a little lighter and well white is pretty light. LOL
I just got distracted by a Hallmark movie playing in the background. They're trying to auction off a quilt and the lead guy was asked to give some details.. So he started off with "did you know some quilters spend up to $3000+/year and some even have a 100 yards of fabric." A football field of fabric. Yep. The lady who made the quilt on the show shouted out her fabric has it's own bedroom.. Does this sound familiar my quilting friends.  I had to laugh but quilting is not a cheap hobby. It made me think of this fact card regarding quilting that I saw posted on FB by a quilter who got upset say because she heard someone say snidely "I guess her couldn't afford a real gift".  Them be fightin words.
The cost of quilting even a small quilt can add up.  But it's better and cheaper than therapy. My husband asked me when I started quilting so "you're gonna take a perfectly good piece of fabric, cut it up just to sew it back together"  And of course that answer was YEP.
All this extra time without any kind of job has me working in my sewing room more.
I started cleaning out some of my scraps off my spools. I emptied 4 spools. When I have extra binding or strips of fabric I would put it on these spools to use at a later date. It keeps them them/me semi organized. Anyway I decided I was going to make a French braid quilt with scraps. We'll see how that turns out.  
When it's long enough to cover a queen bed I'll trim it up the row to about 6 1/2" wide and start another row. As I was cutting the strips for the french braid I decided I'd also cut strips to make house blocks.  My scrappy braid idea might work. I'll keep going and decide later.


This pile is the strips of fabric I've cut so far for the braid and the house that need to be cut to size.
 This bag is filled with strips of fabric already cut to size for the braid.
  And this bag is cut for the scrappy house block.



And while I was at it I made a few masks for us, friends, Pamela, and some of her friends and fellow nurses. I have a few more of them to make. The hardest part for me was to make the ties. I was asked not to use elastic because after a few hours the ears begin to hurt. Well at least I guess I've made it hard for myself. LOL  


Also wanted to share my new cutting and ironing table that David got me. He actually bought me 2 work benches from Home Depot One for cutting and one for sewing.  And they're adjustable up and down. I have project baskets balanced on the metal brace. David is going to make a wider shelf for the to set on later. 

Well isn't this just great!. I had this post all finished and hit post when but somehow it wiped out everything but the above. So Now I get to start over. Grrr.. So here I go again....

I have no clue what happened but as I was looking out the back door watching the cows... all of a sudden one started kicking and bucking and took off running, then they all did. The made a complete circle of the property. LOL
   Then Jerry took off towards the pond as if he'd head them off.  It was funny. They finally stopped just outside the gate into the back yard. I guess they were all feeling frisky.
This is the 3 medallion of my round robin I'm in. I had to crop the picture so the prior borders wouldn't show in case Donna G. the owner saw this post. She had recently lost her pup who was her sewing room companion.
Again it took me a while to figure out what to do and now I'm working on making it work and look good.
David's garden took off like crazy.  About 7 days ago these were tiny plants and now There's tomatos, squash, zucchini, peppers, okra, snap peas and I forget what else. He just finished his 3rd raised bed and got it planted last weekend. He's outside now working of the 4th bed.  I think he's going to put flowers in it to attract pollinators.

For the girl who never really liked to take photos, my daughter Pamela has become quite a creative photographer. She was up last Sunday for our family dinner and started snapping away.  Had I known I would have added some makeup and fixed my hair.
Oh well it is what it is.  I like how she caught the sun between Jerry's ears.
Jerry was feeling lovable. He slung his head over the rail on to my hand you can't see and hit me in the head.  I'm not sure but I think he's smiling in these pictures.

The other day I looked out my north sewing room window and see Lilley laying in the flower bed right where David was trying to water. She never moved even when sprinkles of water hit her. She was quite comfy.
She has become quite the Daddy's girl. She follows him everywhere and stays close by.

Friday evening 4/24 David called me out to the front porch to see lighting show. Pamela had just called saying they were getting lots of lightning, thunder and some rain in Bryan while we were getting nothing but lots of wind. I had posted this video on FB and people were seeing the same thing 80 miles away.  It was really pretty but scary if you were under it...
During the day I ran some errands with David. He had mentioned a co-worker of his, Johnny had some Bi-Colored Iris's he had dug out while thinning out a landscape and wondered if David wanted them.  David will not turn down free plants.  While out Johnny called and said he'd be back in Katy in about 30-40 minutes and we could meet up. So we headed down the road to the Buc-ees in Katy.  It would take us about an hour and a half.
When he and David lifted 5 huge balls of iris's they were pretty dry and no flowers. 
David has no idea where he'll plant them but they're finally resting spot until then will be the spare water tank we have not out by the garden.  We just dropped them in and put some water on them and maybe 2 days later they were all green and there were flowers blooming. Too cool
Lilley found herself a comfy spot for viewing our activity.







And all 5 blueberry bushes are filled with berries.  Can't wait for them to turn deep dark blue. Other items around the house are blooming like crazy too.  We have 2 large pots on the back porch full of lavender. It really smells nice. 
Some of the roses that David bought me for Valentines and planted out my east sewing room window have started blooming. Can't wait for all the roses to get full and grown with all the blooms. Should start smelling nice one day.

All nice and mulched now too.

And out my north window where Lilley was watching David water....  the agapanthus are blooming. The gardenia's look like they have buds but they're not open yet.



David has pretty much finished the one water tank planting for now off the back porch. Now he'll have to finish the one on the other side. It all takes time.
 While working on the tank he noticed a visitor. He was about 3-4" long. Hopefully he'll work on eating all the spiders that keep coming around.



On that I'll Stop for now.  I hope everyone is staying safe and sane.
Pamela is throwing me off.  She coming up today for dinner and it's Friday not Sunday. How will I ever figure out the day if changes the day she comes up. LOL.
I'll work on it.

Until next blog...“Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present” ~ B. Olatunji

1 comment:

Art and Sand said...

I am cracking up at your husband's comment on quilting!!!

When I retired I kept track of the days by:
Monday - senior night at the movies
Thursday - trash day
Friday - dinner date
Saturday - bacon day
Sunday - sausage day

Repeat weekly

Now the only way we can tell is trash cans on the street and of course our days for bacon and sausage.

I stopped coloring my hair in 2016, but I had to resort to my own pedicures and it isn't pretty.