Friday, July 18, 2014

5 days of Fun and Quilt Shops

WARNING Picture heavy and lots of news
One of my friends commented that she just knew David and I were probably doing something fun on the 4th of July. I cannot lie and I will disappoint you with answer...We hung out around the house. David was busy trying to get everything around the house done so he could leave town Monday an not worry about leaving things undone. David is hanging out in the middle of the gulf now. He'll be home next Tuesday. He's living on a boat in a room with 3 other guys and they're sleeping in bunk beds. The first week he got the top bunk. Not a good place for an old guy with bad knees and ankles. Okay he's not so old but after a full day of climbing the stairs and ladders on the rig he's feeling the pain. He's there to supervise and help with the rig start up. It's kinda quiet around here. He's been there for 12 days now and won't be home for another 5 days.
 As the saying goes while the Papa Cat is away Momma Mouse went out to play.  Wednesday night the 9th a co-work and a friend joined me at Main Street Crossing to see Jesse Dayton play. He's my favorite Texas rockabilly. He brought along his bass player Chris and his drummer Eric. They put on an awesome show. 

Samara and Rosie are now fans of Jesse Dayton.

Jesse took a selfie of all of us.

Thanks Samara and Rosie for joining me and buying drinks. Yes ladies and gents they tried to get me drunk. I did say tried. I screwed up by not mentioning this outing to another co-worker of mine and Samara's. Ashley won't let me off the hook for that one. 
I promise I won't do that again. See where assuming that she wouldn't go since she's a Mommy of the cutest little 4 month old named Aria. Aria is the spitting image of her Mommy.

What'cha think? Or and the attitude they match too.  Love you Ashley.

Thursday night Ashley, her husband, another co-work Cassie, her husband, and Samara came over after work for beer and pizza. 
We sat outside for a while but we were going to play a game called "Cards against Humanity" but the wind would have blown all the cards off the table. So we went inside about the same time the pizza showed up. Now this game is not for those who are easily offended. It's a crazy crazy game. We laughed all night. Obviously I'm not easily offended.
Friday afternoon I headed toward Bryan for a 2 day bus trip.
 This past Saturday and Sunday I jumped on a bus for the Quilters Quest Bus Trip. On these 2 days the bus travels and stops at 6 different shops. Well 7 when you count the one we start and finish at. I started at the Lone Star Quiltworks in Bryan. You can click on shop name and it will take you to shop website.
By going up Friday I got visit with my daughter and spend the night with her.

Meet our Bus Mom --Kathy. She made sure we stayed on schedule and made it to each shop with plenty of time to drool, touch and imagine this...spend money.                             Shop owner Terry stayed at the shop this year. She made sure Kathy had snacks, games, prizes and drinks for the trip to keep all us ladies happy.
Terry supplied us with this really cool canvas shopping bag. What happens on the bus trip almost stays with the bus trip.
So I won't tell you if my bag is full or empty well okay so maybe it did have some goodies in it. Plus I won't tell how some of my co-hearts on the bus filled this bag and others and were over flowing. Oops I guess I just told you that but since the husbands won't be reading this it don't matter. Mine might but it's okay because I went on this trip with a cash budget and stayed on it. I even came home with a few dollars in my wallet. 
Meet my roomie for this trip. I met Sandy on the 2012 trip and the rest is history. You'll see her in pictures at my retreat.       This trip I recognized several other women from the 2012 trip and one in particular. Her name was Sharon. I had lost her email and couldn't contact her and there was no bus trip in 2013 but luckily she was on this trip. 
 Meet Sharon. She has personality plus. She's fun and she lives about 5 miles from me.
Hopefully we can get together once in a while. I got her email address and put it in my phone this time.

On Saturday we went to
Tomorrow's Quilts in Waco where they had snack, drinks and quick demo on a table runner. They also played a game where you find a number that has been taped to the floor and stand on it. You will a prize if they call your number. The ladies were most gracious and helpful.
Then we head off to Valli & Kim in Dripping Springs who fed us lunch. Oh wow this picture doesn't do the shop justice but the colors hit you in the face. Now I want a quilt space like this where I can hang quilts from the rafters. Too cool.

And this young lady had a bright smile and was ready to cut however much fabric you like.

And it's off to our final quilt shop for the day. One Quilt Place in Fredericksburg. 
This is Beverly the One Quilt Place shop owner. She has a cottage retreat that holds four quilters comfortable and a key to the studio to sew away.
We ended the evening by having dinner at the Pecan Brewery and a good night sleep at the Best Western in Johnson City. What a fun day! So much color and texture and new shops.

Wait where's mine?
mmm a quilter who knows how to relax after a long day. 

Nope I won't spill the bean on who this is.

On Sunday we started off at The Uptown Textile Studio in Blanco. This is the shop owner Andrea. She had a table with snacks and drinks plus a photographer to take your picture

Bus Mom Kathy jumped in and got her photo taken.

I had to get a picture of the photographer Helen

because like me she's always behind the camera and not in the pictures. She's very photogenic and nice to visit with.
This shop was full of fabric that no one could resist. 

This rocking chair of purple made me think of Sandy and my friend Donna M. She loves purple! Maybe one day she can join us on this bus trip.

Then we headed to The Scrappy Quilter

in Schertz, TX where they had a demo of some rulers for the perfect half square triangle of which I couldn't pass up. It was a cute little shop with some energetic ladies. They fed us a yummy Schlotzky's box lunch. It was a small shop but they packed it with lots of fabric and tool choices.
Our final stop of the day was Poppy Quilt N Sew in Georgetown. This picture is from 2012. Had a great selection of western fabric and blue bonnets. I think I was getting tired and didn't get a picture while at this shop. 
If you want to look at all the pictures I took on this trip click HERE.

Dad's status: He's walking, driving and my little sister reports he's awake more than he sleeps now. He's on his 2nd round of chemo and the doctor is please with his progress. He has another biopsy soon and on the 31st of this month they decide the next phase of his treatment. Jerri Lynn also reports that Dad's labs are great except for his platelets that dropped from 138,000 to 33,000 from last week. So he needs to be real careful of infection and wear that darn mask. 
 Jerri Lynn shared this picture of our dad and her youngest Josiah just chillin. I can't get over how good our Dad looks. All smiles.
Like my little sister I have to believe that all your prayers have helped keep him in our lives on this earth another day. Last week I talked with my Dad and as I said Good-bye and said I'd give him a call later he said "That's good I'll still be around" We both laughed and I said good he better be.

More adventures to share soon.
So until next blog....Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever...
~Isak Dinesen~

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love catching up on your whirlwind of a life! You are ALWAYS doing something fun and interesting!