Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Don't be a Hater - I can't help I live in Houston


Wow it's Wednesday and I'm just now finding time to recap my adventure at the Quilt festival last Friday. I know what's new. Now don't be hating just because I got to go to festival. I'm just lucky to live in the Houston area where it's held.

I took a vacation day to go to the Festival with my friend Denise last Friday. She’s the one who got me into this quilting stuff in the first place. See I blame her for being a fabric-aholic and any other bad habit in quilting. 
Denise     Jan       Me


She emailed me and told me that our former co-worker Jan wants to join us. She not a quilter but loves the art of it. Who knows we might bring her over to the dark side of quilting if she hangs out with us enough…. We had so much fun wondering thru the quilts and vendors.
All the color and the designs almost sent our senses into overdrive. All that talent and creativity in one building and I think I’ve recovered now from all the walking and shuffling up and down the aisles at the George R Brown Convention Center. That happens to be A VERY big building! Like 11 blocks big. We arrived @ 9:40am and didn't leave until around 6:20pm and we still hadn’t covered all the vendors. We almost closed the place down. (Hours were 10-7)

And look what I found amongst the quilt exhibits…. Tri Country’s very own Jean Chapman. It kinda cool knowing someone who has a quilt hanging in the show.












Shelly and Barbara
 I saw lots of familiar faces. And would look who I found all the way from Boston. Barbara a former Guild member back in town visiting.
Saw a couple of my friends from the Quilt Bus Tour I took back in July – Bobbi, Sandy and Lonestar Quiltworks shop owner Terri. Then there were some of the vendors I got to know from Tri County Quilt Guild 2010 Quilt show like Hayward the Scissor Guy and Mary Ann Faye from the Fat Quarter CafĂ©.

I also had a laugh or two with Cynthia England while she was giving a demo. She had spoken at our Guild and mentioned that her home had something like a 6 car garage and she took over half of it which I found amazing. The garage is off limits around my house but the hubby said if I made the money Cynthia made we might re-negotiate. LOL. No Question about it His garage will be safe.

One face I never saw was my friend Tom Russell who always has a hug for me and vice versa. Talk about talent. He’s been very busy of late.. Being on The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims, teaching Embellishments and on a Quilting Cruise as a teacher or who knows what.
   Jan I think was in awe of the size and the art of quilting going on. I usually had Denise answer all her questions since I feel like I’m still in learning mode and will be that way for the rest of my life. Jan had a lot of good questions too. So glad she got to join us! She’s ready to go on another adventure with Denise and me when we head to LaGrange to check out the Quilt Museum. Whenever that that may be.

After all the quilts we hit the vendors aisles. Oh My. There’s every tool, fabric, stencil and quilty things one could ask for. There’s a get skinny machine, sewing machines, quilting machines, there’s beads, lace, clothing, jewelry, buttons, vintage collectibles… and on and on and on.

Here are a few pictures I took.




My picture doesn't do this one justice. The thread detail was awesome




Three ladies from our Guild man the Quilts of Valor Booth. 



 
Smile Denise

 Can you see the quilted hands? Kinda hard to see in my pictures. In fact I didn't see them at first while standing right in front of the picture. It wasn't until someone standing next to me mentioned it.

"Shelter in the Time of the Storm"

 Toward the end of this post I provide you with my photo link of all the pictures from the show. If you look at the picture on the link the Hands will show up better.
Dang can't see the back of this quilt clearly. The front of this quilt had over 22,000 beads. It was really awesome then she flipped over the quilt. The back of the quilt was just as embellished. Gorgeous.

The little gal in this quilt reminded me of my daughters little pup.











While looking at Quilts with blocks from various guilds I noticed one of the State of Missouri and then I noticed it was a guild from my hometown.
'Trenton, Missouri'

 Here's the whole quilt.

 I used to to dance Flamenco so this quilt of a Flamenco dancer really caught my attention.





This guy was a walking work of art. Someone walked in front of me when I was trying to snap the first picture that showed you his full attire. Very eccentric to say the least.

 To see all the pictures and the quilt titles you can click HERE and it will take you to my Photo link.

So long  Houston Quilt Festival...until next year.

Until Next post…. I love quilting and have plenty of material witnesses


7 comments:

Barbara Baldwin said...

I'm famous. I got a picture in your blog! The Houston Quilt Festival was great and I saw that strangely dressed man at the Show as well. Great seeing you,
Barbara

Linda said...

I can't believe the beauty in those quilts!!! What an art!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very nice quilting.. I thought the one of the gorilla looked amazing..at least I am assuming it was a gorilla. See, I need to find a hobby!

Sylvia said...

HI Carla,
Thanks for the great post on the Festival. It's a nice way for those of us on the east coast to get a glimpse inside the show. Such beautiful quilts!
BTW, I tagged you in a game of blog-tag.
http://www.sylviasstitches.com/2012/11/ive-been-tagged.html to read more.

Cheers!
Sylvia

Handywoman said...

Thanks again for sharing. I didn't get to go to the show and now I feel like I was there.
Janet

Breesmimi said...

Hi Carla! I'm stopping over from Sylvia's Blog Tag game. I enjoyed your post on Houston Quilt Festival and the photos you posted! It's been a long time since I was in Houston for the show as a vendor but I remember how awesome it was! So much talent! I hope you have made a convert of your friend Jan. I have been quilting since 1985. I'm your newest follower and I'd love if you would come over and follow me too!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Wow, that gorilla is something else! :-)

And so is the old man, who is a walking work of art, himself. :-))))