Friday, October 21, 2011

Is my Porch driving me to drinking? LOL

Last weekend was kind of unproductive but
that’s okay. We had beautiful weather but we could still use some rain. We spent plenty of time outside on the back porch. I don’t remember spending this much time outside on the patio of the old house. Of course I posted on facebook at least 3 different times lately that I was having an adult beverage and sitting on the porch.

Well I got comments like “Lush” and “I think your porch is driving you to drinking”. LOL  I love my friends. I am so loving the new house and sitting on the back porch just relaxing. The person who said my porch was driving me to drink….well I noticed he enjoyed sitting out there on last Saturday evening while it rained with an adult beverage or two and his lovely wife too.
 .



You know what it is don’t you…They’re jealous of my country porch. I doubt it but it sounds good. 

Most evenings I watch the 15+ Canadian Geese fly over the house that usually hang out at the opposite end of the small lake behind the house. They are Noisey little honkers. One day I'll be ready and catch a good picture of them. And no they're not ducks. I do know the difference.


In the mornings and in the evenings we have lots of these little guys.
He has a bright yellow breast and a speckled back with a black ring under his neck. I think he and his friends are Meadowlarks. I need a longer lens to get close enough to be sure. New lens is on my wish list.

Back to my weekend. Last Friday when I got home from work I on the back porch going thru the mail and relaxing with our dog Dexter (He too likes hanging out on the porch once he takes care of all his business). The hubby arrives home grabs us a drink (darn here I go drinking again) and we discussed the week and what we had on our agenda for the weekend. Our tummy's were starting to growl. After a short discussion we decided to go grab something. We went to a new place called “The Love Shack.” Or at least that’s what I thought it was called. Come to find it’s now called just “THE SHACK” as my husband so likes to inform me. As I read various reviews I found out that it had just recently changed names. Aha Mr K. so there. ;o)
If you’re ever in the Cypress area go check this place out. It’s off 290 down Cypress Rosehill a couple of miles on the right. You're there when you see the cast iron bathtub with reflectors next to the driveway. Be forewarned It’s all outdoors. They do have Awnings or big Umbrellas and they have fans to keep you cool or heaters to keep you warm and it’s kid friendly. The Menu is limited and they only serve beer or wine and non-alcoholic liquids. They have a variety of burgers and chicken sandwiches and I think at least one brisket sandwich with an asian twist. David had a 1015 Burger with Pepper Jack cheese, Aggie 1015 onions and Zapps BBQ chips on the burger. It was big, juicy and tastey. I had the Bird Next Door , a chicken sandwich with 1015 onions, honey mustard and Jack Cheese. We shared the Signature O-Strings (1015 onion strings with butter milk batter). A little Messy but Droolin good! Are you drooling yet?  The sandwiches and the onion rings were seasoned to perfection or at least we thought so. Keep in mind this is not a fast food place so don’t get in a hurry. They prepare and handmake all the food. Oh and I forgot to mention the buns. Their buns had bits of jalapeno and cheddar in the them and they are so fresh. Go check out THE SHACK.

Saturday we had someone come out to look at pouring sidewalks, new driveway and some more patio area which took a couple of hours. Then our friends Russell and Melissa called saying they were in the area and would it be okay if they stopped by to check out our new digs. They had their boys with them who loved running from the porch to the lake. Especially when Dad said let’s see who's faster. Dad and Mom may have been tired but I don’t think the running slowed the boys down at all. ;o)

I have decorating plans for this table in the future
After our friends left David and I went to look at a rustic table he found on Craigslist for the porch.  I do believe it will work. Sold! We got a good deal on the table and 4 chairs. We brought it home and placed it on the porch and promptly sat down and started discussing possible patio layouts.



As it got closer to dinner time David told me to call our friends Ross and Sheryl to see if they wanted to grab a bite to eat and we’d come by their house to check out their new outdoor patio kitchen area that Sheryl’s brother contracted for them. It was her brother who came out to take measurements this morning to give us quotes on concrete and structures. They said sure so we cleaned up and headed that way. I had never realized how big their yard was. Wow the free standing patio cover and patio area was really nice. Can’t wait till we get one from whoever. We sat outside for awhile and had drinks. Well they had drinks I did not so maybe it is my porch that does make me drink. hmmm

In last Sunday’s Parade section of the paper they had a woman’s health quiz and 2 of the questions caught my attention. See if you know the answers.. You might be surprised. You'll find the answers at the bottom of my post.
  1. How many hours of shut eye per night does a woman need on average for a long healthy life?   A 6 hours          B 7 hours            C 8 hours               
  2. A daily glass of what beverage can help a woman stay healthy?            A milk      B  beer            C cranberry juice           D diet soda                             
Sunday we had breakfast on the porch at our new table.  So Nice. Then I took off around lunch time to run a couple of errands and headed to Quilter's Crossing (a cute friendly quilt shop in Tomball) for an EQ Bee. I'm the so called Queen Bee of our little group but definitely not the teacher. EQ is a software where you can design, recreate and play with quilt designs. Now if only I had my sewing room ready to actually sew. Maybe soon.
That evening we grilled and again ate at the new table. David grilled some tastey pork chops and I baked sweet potatoes. Only we had unwanted visitors...   "Houston we have a problem." Big ones! Fromthe rain a couple of weeks ago the mosiquitos have become active, big and hungry. Normally there's a good breeze so we don't notice the mosiquitos but not that night. I looked down at the concrete before we finished dinner and saw all the dead blood suckers and thought Holy Cow I think we picked the wrong night to eat on the porch.  When David got home Monday night I asked if he'd like to eat outside again since there was a nice breeze but he declined.

So maybe this weekend we can eat on the porch again.
Until Next Blog.... "Who among us has'nt envied a cat's ability to ignore the cares of daily life and to relax completely?" ~Karen Bradmeyer
.•*¨`*•. .•*¨`*•. Be Happy  .•*¨`*•. .•*¨`*•.  
……………… ....
•.Carla.•´…………............…

answers to
#1 is A) Women based on a study only need an average of 5 to 6½ hours of sleep. Any more or less could shave time off their life. So relax if you don’t get that 8 hours.
#2 is B) A study found that women who sipped 1-2 glasses of beer a day were less likely
to gain weight than those who abstained completely. *this does not mean more beers would be even better. ;o)

2 comments:

Linda said...

What a wonderful weekend!!! I hope THIS one is just as good!!! Summer- my oldest daughter- and I are coming down to visit Amber soon and we will so have to check out The Shack! I love onion rings!!!
I always SMILE when I see a new blog psoting from you!!

bj said...

Great weekend...I really like the table and chairs..they look perfect for that spot.

I don't like beer so I will have a couple glasses of my favorite Blackberry wine, thank you very much. :))
And, I generally get about 7 hrs of sleep...how bout you?
xo bj