Saturday, June 20, 2020

There's a lot of Canning going on.

Awww Finally got my Nails done. They were looking pretty rough. I was able to trim and file the finger nails with little problem but the toe nails was a different story. It wasn't pretty getting to those little piggies. But they are purdy now. Yahoo and they feel good.
Also got an appointment to get my hair done. 

This was a few weeks ago. Hair has pretty much grown out on top and was white.  You can see the ponytail was  darker than the hair on top.  But Friday (6/12) I got an appointment with my new stylist not far from the Rock'n K.  I went to The Talk of the Town in Rockdale. Told Gene (stylist) that I'm gonna try to embrace my grey white hair what can he do.  I'm not ready to go all white yet but let's do something gradual until I'm ready.
A few low and a few highlights, along with a cut to shape up my mop. It felt good and I think it looks good. Next time he'll only do I think he said highlights only to blend with the white. As long as he make my hair look good and he has..  Thanks Gene!
  
Can you see the difference or only me?  Either way I'm very happy. And Gene quilts. I can kill 2 birds with one stone. 
That evening we picked tomatoes. Lots of tomatoes!  Big tomatoes, roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes along with 1 squash and a few jalapeno and poblano peppers.
   
More cherry tomatoes that I was washing off.
  This batch of Roma's made Rotel. That's about 4#'s
I have counted and separated batches of tomatoes to start canning salsa, pasta sauce and Tomato paste.
We have more to pick. These plants are producing like crazy. Last year we had a fair crop but this crop is crazy.
I have now canned some homemade Rotel, Salsa and spaghetti sauce. Haven't tested the Rotel but we did test the salsa. Yum. Just spicy enough and fresh. Plan to make more and tried the homemade spaghetti sauce. Tasted pretty good. Can't wait until I use it on Spaghetti. It does take time and it gets hot in the kitchen but we gotta use up these tomatoes and not let them go to waste.
My stew pot was full of veggies making the 5 quarts of spaghetti sauce. Just took it out of the water and waiting to for jars to seal.
    This batch and the 2 other batches are ready to be turned into something. And there's more to pick.      
So far here's the rotel (1st row) and Salsa (2nd & 3rd row).   
In between the canning Pamela and I took a field trip to Cypress to have lunch with my Godchild Michelle and her mom Gigi. Gigi is my sorority sister from college. Michelle got married in October and moved to Indiana and was home for a visit. We met up at the Urban Kitchen in Town Lakes. 
It was great seeing them. We had a nice lunch but once we finished we had to leave. The restaurant started sitting people all around us.  There was no social distancing. People in booths were back to back. As Gigi said it was getting a little crowded.

After lunch we headed to Chappel Hill to see a quilting friend to drop off a wool ironing mat that I had ordered for several of us.  Connie has a beautiful place just off 290 down in the wooded area. It was so hot that when we finished visiting with her and went out to the car we didn't take pictures. Connie invited us back to visit and hang by the pool so I'll take pictures next time. Maybe.  LOL

Not much happening except picking, canning and a couple of quick visits. It's a new world these days. Next post I'll have some quilting down and adventures for Father's Day to share.

Until next post....Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living, and your belief will help create the fact. ~ William James








5 comments:

Linda said...

WOW on all your canning! I hope to do some once our tomatoes are ripe. The bushes are loaded with lots and lots of green ones! Have you tried tomato jam? I love making that but it's been a good 35 years ago! My favorite s spiced tomato jam. Sherry gave me a jar of regular that her dad made and canned. Really good on biscuits!

Susie said...

Your nails look good Carla. I know you felt great getting your hair done. I dream of those days. LOL. Great job on making sauce. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Looking good!!!

barbara woods said...

looking good! I finally got my hair cut

BeachGypsy said...

Hi there Carla, so glad you stopped in to visit with me and I've been enjoying your blog last night! Your nails look so pretty and hair too. All the "mater" goodies look so yummy! Our "maters" aren't doing much, but our peppers are growing, yay!! Hot weather is arriving here, last week we were so enjoying the cool cool days, it felt like Fall. Wish summer would not get so darn hot. Where did you get the cute fairy at the end of your post?--I want one too! LOL