Sunday, May 6, 2018

More Wine adventures anyone




So Saturday we woke up to rather cold weather that morning on April 7th. Now I was expecting weather in the low 60's but not 38. We had been checking the 7 day forecast but nothing prepared us for 38 degrees and the high for the day being 43. YIKES. So I chose to wear the warmest thing I had but it wasn't that warm.  We figured we'd warm up after some wine and jalapeno moonshine.  So here goes our 3rd day of our trip.
So our adventures of the Mother-Daughter trip continues. on Saturday April 7th. We were moving semi slow but we got up and our first stop of the day was the awesome quilt shop in Kerrville called Creations.

This shop is so neat. Every room is dedicated to a fabric type or theme. I hit the baby fabric since I have a new great nephew coming in October. Pamela saw a kit and said that's the one I should make. It was cute so It went into the shopping basket. Funniest thing happened. As I said last year the Ladies in the shop were friendly and so helpful. Well as Pamela and I were browsing the rooms when this woman that I recognized as the owner goes "Y'all are from the Houston area and let's see, oh yeah, you're on your annual Mother-Daughter trip! Welcome Back!" Wow what a memory. I mean she's had a lot of people come through her shop since we were there last year. I have to admit I was impressed and honored that she remembered us. I promise I will eventually have a retreat there. I know it's a drive but I know my retreat group wouldn't be disappointed. I just have to book it and they'll come well at least I hope so.
After browsing in the quilt shop we went looking for lunch. I took Pamela to a place David and I found by accident when looking for houses in Kerrville. We went to Cafe on the Ridge.

This place is so good and look at the size of these sandwiches.  Next time we share. Just way too much food for us. Pamela had a chicken sandwich and I had a BLT with fried green tomatoes. Are you drooling yet?

We'll be back next year I'm sure. 
So on the road back to town we stopped at James Avery just down the road. This is a family own store and this is the factory/visitor center/store. Such a cool place to go and browse.  Well okay neither one of us browsed. I couldn't stop myself from buying this little red truck charm. Perfect for me.
So many cool things to see and okay buy. LOL    

Our next stop was Bending Branch Winery just outside Comfort. Pamela's taste in wine has evolved and she's liking some of the dryer but not too dry wines. Mine not so much. I'm still a semi sweet to sweet wine drinker. This the other winery that has the best views if you sit out on the deck to sip your wine. That wasn't happening today. Too dark chilly. They had music on the patio but even the musicians were wrapped in blankets trying to stay warm. Onward to the next stop............
Photo by Singing Water Vineyard FB
Just down the road is a winery called Singing Water Vineyard. They have a neat tree house just outside the building that looks over a wet weather stream.  I've been there only once when there has been a little water in it. Generally its dry. 
We always have fun taking pictures here but it was a wee bit chilly outside but we did it anyway.  

We always have fun no matter the weather.
 Being that it's Spring the goats are having kids. This was my new friend at Singing Water. She had just given birth and she must have been hungry.  While I'm petting her, she decides to try and eat my shirt.  YIKES
After getting to know the goats we pack up and head back into Comfort to the Hill Country Distillery. I was looking forward to this stop so I could have a Bloody Shiner. It's their take on a Bloody Mary using jalapeno moonshine, Zing Zang, lime, Tabasco, and a couple of olives.  Pamela had their  Signature Mule.  We each had a Dreamcicle next. Remember the ice cream bars.

I look over at Pamela and I think oops she's had it and it's time for some food. She had a slight buzz. LOL  So off we go into the wild blue yonder. Yep the first time we went to Alamo Springs Cafe we thought Siri was taking us out in the hills and dropping us in the middle of no where.  This time we know where we're headed so it wasn't so scary and it was day light.  This is a picture of my burger. mmmmm
We got lucky and there was no wait and there was music. These guys were pretty good. Made eating enjoyable.
That was it for the day. It was time to find our way back to our hotel. All this driving around and tasting wine wears a person out.

Sunday it was time to head back home. Our trip was over. What a bummer but then I was out of money and tired but we still had things to do before heading back.  We headed to Medina to the Apple pie shop. We took the scenic Hwy 16 route. It's full of twisting curves and lots of pretty landscape.  Did I mention it was 48 this morning and not 38 plus it's suppose to warm up to almost 80. What a difference from the day before. And it's really windy By the time we get to Medina it's already warmed up to almost 60.  Of course the purpose of this drive is to grab some apple pie turn overs. The pies were already gone.  On our way back down the hill we stopped to have a photo opt on the Medina River. 
 Now on the way back down it took forever. We got stuck behind a car of people who stopped at every river crossing or long horn sighting. I mean they literally stopped. It didn't matter to them that there were cars behind them. They just stopped.  When we finally got to a wide spot in the road they finally pulled over so we could pass. Finally.


Pamela and I stopped to snap a picture of ourselves with a spectacular view behind us.  We were fast but not fast enough here came the damn car we finally got past. Now we had to follow them again for  almost another 10 miles.  Very frustrating. 



From here we travelled back into Fredericksburg to have lunch at Hondo's. And we got lucky again. No wait and there was live music to listen to while we ate. We never have a bad meal here and it's become a tradition. Our next and final stop was the Wildseed Farms. This was the first year it was misty rain but it was windy as heck.
 This year we couldn't get to the bluebonnet fields to take pictures so took them in the poppies and under the vines 

 Well I took pictures of her in the poppies.
 So ends another great trip. We headed home to David and the pups. Let's hope our 6th trip to the Hill Country will be as great as this one was.  

That's it for now.

Until my next blog post.....  "Draw your chair up... and I'll tell you  a story..." ~ 
F. Scott Fitzgerald



No comments: