Thursday, February 8, 2018

Quilts and Missions

So last weekend David was supposed to go to the farm while I went to the Brenham Friendship Quilt Guild Quilt Show "Spring Blossoms".  Originally about 5 of us were gonna meet up and go but life got in the way and it was just me and my friend Donna Lynn against the quilting world..   No Quilts were harmed and we survived. LOL.
Poor thing her back was hurting when she got there so she had to find a chair ever so often.  It was a small venue and they had it packed with vendors and pretty quilts.  
First person we saw was our friend Margie who runs the retreat now known as Hilltop House by Margie with minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6.
she hates her picture taken
It's a great retreat for quilters, crafters, scrapbookers and now she's opening it up to the Round Top/Warrenton Antiquers and the MS150 riders.
Last September was our last retreat in the big house that could of held up to 16. While talking with her we discovered that she still had openings in March for her Hilltop House so we booked an impromptu retreat for 6. Normally I plan for these things months in advance but with the sale of my home, the packing, Harvey, the move, on and on I didn't get one booked for the Spring.  On Monday after the quilt show I sent out the email looking for retreaters.  I think I have one spot open currently. It is short notice but it was an impromptu booking.
While there I also found the 2 quilt shops that are within an hours drive from the farm. Who would have thunk it? A quilt shop in the country. The first one is Country Living Quilts in Flynn but they're address says Marquez.  The owner Teri was really sweet. Can't wait to get a chance to go visit her shop. She'll hate me for this picture but the lighting put a glare on it. I'm sorry. I'll do better next time I see you, Terri.
Checked out some of the the quilts from the show.








This one is too cute. It got a first place and a Mayors Choice.

And this one cracked me up. Do you Get it? It took Donna Lynn a minute. Sorry Donna Lynn I ratted you out.


Then I met my second quilt shop owner Brenda of A Cowgirl Quilt Shop. She'll be at the Tri County Quilt Guild Quilt Show @ the Berry Center in Cypress on March 2-3. Anyway Her shop is on Lake Limestone. Now this quilt shop stole my heart folks. It's all about western. Anyone who knows me knows I love western and rustic. It's probably a good thing it's not any closer or I could be go broker. But she has fabric perfect for for the Rockin K house when ever it gets built and we move in. Brenda was really nice and fun to talk with.                                           
After going through all the quilts again and talking with Margie one more time Donna and I needed food so we headed over to The Longhorn Saloon & Steakhouse in downtown Brenham where shared the southwest burger with fries and onion rings.  Soooo good.  We sat and talked there for a while and then head over to Hermann Furniture.  We didn't look at the furniture but we looked at the antique booths. 
It was a very fun day.
Got home early and David was feeling better. 
Oh now don't think that by moving to the country one day that I won't have quilt shops near by... That's not the case at all and obviously I just found two more. Yippee for me. I could list them but I won't bore you.

So what did you do Super Bowl Sunday?
We went on a mission.      Before I talk about the mission left me discuss my furry friend pictured here. Ever since we moved into the rent house my daughter and I have heard things in the walls and the ceilings. Once a few weeks ago David finally heard something in our bedroom and then last Saturday while we were upstairs he got to hear the scratching in the wall behind my sewing cabinet. One morning I had heard a noise that sounded like Lilley when she plays with her chew stick on the laminate flooring only she was laying next to me in bed. awe oh.
So Super Bowl Sunday as we were pulling out of the driving I was looking up at the roof line when all of a sudden out pops the squirrel. Then he disappears just as fast.  AWESOME!  We let the landlord know right away. We'll see what happens. We have a squatter.
So back our mission (squirrel) I needed ink for our printer and David wanted to look for cushions for some chairs but our big mission was to look at various types of flooring. We have it in our minds that we want stained concrete when we build at the Rockin K. We've had 2 builders say "oh yeah" and two that say it's not a good choice because of the wear pattern and the up keep. UUGGGHHH. I think I still want stained concrete but I did put the question out there on Facebook and I'll put it out there to you who follow my blog .... 
What are your thoughts and opinions on stained concrete flooring?  
I already know it's cold and it's hard on the feet but what about wear and tear and upkeep?

After our search and finding some alternatives if we decide to go a different direction we came home to relax, cook, and have a drink or two prior to the super bowl. David makes a great Hard Lemonade served in my special Cowgirl Bling glass from my friend Nancy.

Oh and I won I won! I can't say I never win on the football pot anymore. I won almost enough money to pay for my quilt retreat I just booked. Yippee!

Well that's it for now.

Until then














2 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Lots of pretty quilts. loved the Don't mess with me.....giggle.

donna said...

It was a great day. I had lots of fun and laughs with you.
Please share the recipe for the hard lemonade. I will share at retreat. lol!
Love ya
d