Then there’s my Grandma Flossie, my dad’s mom, well she smoked and would leave still burning cigarettes just about anywhere in her apartment. She’d just forget where she left them. Her bed, the couch, or the kitchen counter, you get the idea. She almost burnt down the little apartment building down more than once. My dad would stop by to visit her in the mornings and would find the gas stove burner on. Oops not a good thing.
Now my personal stories – Monday I was getting ready for work, plugged in my hot curlers and once I was finished I walked out the door. Did I forget something? Well David came home that evening walks into the kitchen and asks “Where are you going tonight”
I look at him like he’s crazy because I’m cooking dinner and in my comfy clothes. So I say “No where”
He replies sarcastically “Your curlers are plugged in and I know you wouldn’t leave them on all day”
Well I won’t repeat the rest of that conversation.
Now last night I’m cooking dinner. I put the vegetables in the steamer on low-medium heat so they would be done by the time David walked in from work. No biggy right? Well I went upstairs to my sewing/crafting area, Next thing I hear “Are you trying to burn the house down”. Hmmm. My 10 minutes had turned into just a little over 15 minutes and the kitchen was full of smoke. I had put butter on top the veggies and the water had boiled away and the butter was smoking and the bottom of the pot was black. Again won’t repeat the rest of that conversation but I’m sure your imagination can come up with something.
So you tell me .. Am I turning into my grandmothers? Maybe when I’m cooking I shouldn’t multi-task.
Or maybe it’s this upcoming birthday getting to me? I’m hoping it was just a bad week.
Until next time……. I’ll try not to burn the strawberries or the house.